Workplace harrassment/bullying....read this!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I left a secure good job in April and took one much closer to home(5 miles not 75) and on more money, happy days I thought.
There's just 4 people in the company(we do have another 10 based in Glasgow but never see them), and within 2 weeks I realised what a monumental mistake I'd made. The place has a "manager", another supposedly "equal" colleague doing what I do, and a 4th person who does mainly handywork etc and isn't seen much during the day.
I was employed to take over from a frail old 67yr old bloke who'd been there 22 years, and trained up to do his job. In the second week I witnessed her(my "colleague") screaming and swearing her head off at him at 6am for not doing a procedure the way she wanted, this set the alarm bells ringing. Since he went I've been the new whipping boy...I've been screamed at and called the laziest person she's ever met, on Monday she yelled I had the least problem solving skills she's ever seen during another tirade over something small and insignificant. I've done my job pretty much perfectly, given it's a whole career change for me, and she's made 2 major F-ups in the time I've been there, have I once dished it back?
I've spoken to the manager and told him that as much as I like(!) the job, I really do not want to be spoken to in this way and it is stressing me out, because one day she'll be fine and pleasant, the next you can see the black clouds over here head, and I don't want to have to come into this schizo/sociopathic behaviour(her personality is like "Annie Wilkes" in that film "Misery"). He is a spineless laissez-faire manager, and he's abdicated most of his managerial duties to her, which she's latched on to.
The critical thing I found out after the first month is that they used to be a couple, long term, best part of a decade and she started working there, they shortly after split up, but she's still there, 5 years later....It's a nightmare situation...He doesn't realise that what he assumes is his greatest asset is a total liability. I then found out that there had been two other starts just prior to me. One lasted 2 weeks, the other 5 weeks. Both walked out making excuses but I know from the handyman bloke who's also been there 20 odd years that she was a major factor in them leaving(not just the pre-victorian lack of contract, no contingency for sick cover, no breaks etc...).
They're starting a third bloke in January, this poor sod doesn't know what he's letting himself in for.
The job is fine I suppose insofar as I can do it, it's just her that's got me to the point I'm re-applying for jobs with my old company. Left on good terms should get back. I'd rather spend a couple of night a week in a campervan than endure this any longer. I can't see the wood for the trees in how to deal with this. If I go above the manager it won't look good, not in a union, no-one to corroborate anything I've suffered.

It's getting to the point I'm gonna snap and walk out, or snap, throw her down the stairs...no one to corroborate? No one to witness either....
The worst thing is she really has got a personality disorder. Total fitness freak runs about the place trying to make every process more efficient(and ultimately more prone to error as she's shown herself), knocking on 50, her "skinned rabbit" masculine body seems to me the only thing she has control of in her life. No kids, a transient east European "boyfriend" who treats her like sh*t, a job which is a constant reminder of a failed long term relationship...probably menopausal to boot.....Oh, and by her own admittance a terrible relationship with her parents and siblings....I seriously think she needs psychiatric help.

But, any ideas on how to go? Payday on the last friday of each month is a toughie...cos I feel like not going in the next day. Right now I've got to see out the next 2 weeks, then maybe 3 til xmas....Maybe when they start the new fella I'll jack it in on the same day. One person down and her having to train him up! It would seriously screw up production and all targets....
I only legally need to give a weeks notice as I have no contract anyway, the manager has no idea on employment law whatsoever...

Sponsored Links
Not entirely sure. Maybe you could ask her, whilst in one of her calmer moments, that you really don't appreciate being treated like this and that she might consider some kind of psych help?

Dunno :confused:

She has a "running/cycling mantra" whilst out, and if she sees someone ahead she tries to catch them up. Her mantra? "If you catch them you can kill them". Not joking. She has the audacity to go to a Buddhist meditation group on a Wednesday...My other half has met her once and says you can see in her eyes she's a scary b***h....

One of my wife's line managers is a Buddhist and is a complete hypocrite, liar and cheat. And inept, obviously. Funny old world, coincidences ;)

Sponsored Links
I did actually say that to her a few weeks back, I said I could deal with constructive criticism but didn't think that the way she speaks to people was appropriate, she did mumble an apology of sorts but then it has no long term effect whatsoever. Maybe I need to lose the rag and dish it back to her.
She can't help herself, and is one of those types whereby a positive comment is always followed by several criticisms...

I may put a written complaint to the "manager"(well, verbally he's brushed my concerns aside- it's like her behaviour is seen as acceptable because and only because she's got away with talking to and treating people like this for so long. the "oh it's only xxxxxx, he/she's like that!"), or maybe I should say to him, "if you do not address the concerns I have over xxxxx behaviour etc then I will have no alternative to put this down in writing, send a copy not only to you but to the MD and personnel department in head office as I need to have these concerns logged, this is nothing short of harrassment and bullying"

One of my wife's line managers is a Buddhist and is a complete hypocrite, liar and cheat. And inept, obviously. Funny old world, coincidences ;)

Brilliant!!! This one's a vegan too. She treats animals better than humans. Trying to work out was it Hitler and/or Stalin that were vegetarians/and animal lovers....

Maybe Buddhist groups are riddled with folks that are ruthless total c***s 166 hrs a week and think sitting for 2 hrs a week absolves them from their hideous personality driven crimes.... :LOL:

I work in a distillery....just been online looking at jobs for "distillery operators" and found this.....

http://www.totaljobs.com/JobSearch/JobDetails.aspx?JobId=55089948

Now....bearing in mind Glasgow has a higher pay rate than the average around here, I'm on more money(24k)....but looking at this they are looking for an operator with AT LEAST 3yrs experience and the job description fits our place perfectly(running about switching valves, everything from milling the malt to producing the spirit) I'm doing this job after 8 weeks training....!!

FFS.....maybe time to get with Diageo or one of the other big companies, they pay £36-40k and their jobs look like Homer Simpsons these days, all computerised...!

You've spoken to your line manager and you say he wasn't helpful and brushed it under the carpet, next time you see him tell you want to escalate the complaint about her and you would like to see the companies laid down grievience procedures since he was unable to resolve the problem to your satisfaction your are forced to go above him......having had similar experiences i know he won't like that

or in VERY LOUD SHOUTY VOICE say you will not tolirate her talking to you in that manner and put in an official complaint to the owners,
also say you will be seeking legal advice on constructive dismissal?
think you do need some advice over your employment contract etc.
everything should be written down in black/white so you know where you stand.

That employer "People for Work"? Yet another unnecessary ""Recruitment Agency"....so the employee gets 22.4k and they probably keep 10k for their services....C***S!!!!!!

I've read up a fair bit on the contract side. Employers don't need to give an official contract but the fact I work there and have documented payslips/bank statements means I do have a contract. They are however required to give a written statement of my duties within a few months which they haven't. Also when on backshifit you finish at 9pm on a thurs, you're expected in at 6am next day- that's illegal must be a min of 11 hrs between shifts according to directgov.... I used to work in places that spent millions putting in visitor centres full of virtual displays etc to see what working in the Victorian Satanic sweatshop mills were like etc....should just have a wee look in our place could have saved a fortune....

Women ehh,,,, Take em out of the kitchen and they just haven't got a clue. I too know a woman, in a managerial position who just doesn't know how to handle/speak to employees without screaming. She seems to be suffering from permanent PMT (instead of only once a month) And most of the people I work with seem afraid to say anything at all.
In your case however, I think asking your line manager to escalate, your complaint about bullying in the workplace, should perhaps have the desired result. If nothing happens, then your perfectly entitled to go above his head with the complaint, even though it could get him in trouble (for not dealing effectively with the original complaint)

Sponsored Links
Back