Workshop Build Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am in the swings of building myself a workshop, I am keeping it under 30m2 to avoid planning permission. I need some guidance as i am an electrician (industrial) not a builder. I have dug the footings and had a builder come in and get the workshop upto damp. I need to understand where do i put the power feed? I also have read lots of articles on doing the floor and the question i have is do i put the concrete slab upto the inner wall or as in some articles do i put it over the inner wall?

Sponsored Links
Cable may have been better going through the footings in a sleeve or hockey stick and up the inside of the wall to wherever the CU will be.

Floor slab goes up to the wall unless you are constructing a suspended floor with reinforcement for a specific reason.

Power, as @^woody^ , SWA usually under or through the below-ground blockwork then up the inside of the wall.
While you're at this stage, consider a length of ducting for data cables (network, phone, alarm system)- same route.
Also think about where the water from the gutters is going to end up- soakaway, IBC or mains drainage.
Concrete floor- if you've done strip founds there's no need for the slab to cover the wall.
Inner wall- cavity wall? If you're going for that level of insulation you might want to think about insulating under the concrete. Don't have to...

Sponsored Links
Hi, Thanks for that, i did think it would have been easier/ better being in or under footings and i did mention it to the builder! i will put it through the lower coarses.

i do intend to put insulation under the concrete slab.

I am virtually ready to back fill upto the walls on the outside. do i need to seal or protect the brickwork and i have read that i need to put 300mm depth of small stones in the bottom for drainage. Also two of the outer walls are also retaining walls for approximately 1M above ground level, i would assume i need to put the dpc through the inner wall at ground level and the upto the row of bricks above the elevated ground level of the retaining wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back