worn out brakes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
had my focus serviced march 2010 at Nationwide, all seemed ok at time, done 5800miles since then (10 months) now found that engine has no oil in it and front brakes are binding and discs have worn down with groove in them both. Is this normal for this mileage and time span! Never 'thrash' my car (wife won't allow it ha ha) and we use it mainly for town commuting. Feel that something is wrong and service possibly not done properly at time. Car is 07 reg and mileage is only 35700 at present. Any help really appreciated!

Sponsored Links
If your Focus has the Duratec 16v engine, they are not prone to burning oil, which is a special 5/30 grade specifically for this engine.
It is however, your responsibility to check the oil level on a regular basis, and if it is falling, try to find out why (leaks etc).
As for the brakes, i would expect the pads to be about 1/2 or 2/3rds worn, with a rusty lip on the discs. Both of these items should be replaced before they get worn to danger levels. grooves in discs can be common enough, and don't mean any particular fault.
John :)

madmyke: It is your responsibility to check the oil on a frequent basis, which I think you will find is weekly, if you look in the owners manual. Again the wear & tear on brakes is determined by driver behaviour, and the quality of parts fitted.

Lou.

Sponsored Links
now found that engine has no oil in it
Doesn't your car have a warning light? :confused:

I have known on occasions John, that it is too late by the time the low oil warning systems kick in.

Many large industrial engines (for power generation, ferries etc) have 'mist detectors' fitted as optional extras. As the oil starts to run low, or stop circulating, in areas where the flow is restricted, heat will soon start to build up, which makes the oil present in that area 'mist' - this is where the mist detectors kick in and stop the engine before serious damage is caused (as oil is still present). I don't know if this system is yet used by car engine manufacturers, but if not, it would be a good advancement for them.

Lou

My Zafira east oil like there no tomorrow, could be due to a piston ring in need of replacing, anyway my oil dropped so low that I now have a clicking noise when I rev over 2k which is fine until you have loads of cars behind you at the lights

My bottom bearing were replaced and camshaft was checked for any signs of wear but they were fine so now am saving up to have my top end bearing replaced and or piston/s checked for damage

Does anyone agree that the bearing that connect the piston to the conrod could be causing this noise, fast clicking noise and very loud outside of the car

So I learn the hard way once you run out of oil it can cost a fortune in repairs

If your engine has been desperately short of oil, there will be piston / cylinder wear ( oil consumption) big end and main bearing wear (heavy rumble and knocking), little end bearing wear (lighter tapping sound) and usually the camshaft gives up too.....not pretty!
John :)

My Zafira east oil like there no tomorrow, could be due to a piston ring in need of replacing, anyway my oil dropped so low that I now have a clicking noise when I rev over 2k which is fine until you have loads of cars behind you at the lights

My bottom bearing were replaced and camshaft was checked for any signs of wear but they were fine so now am saving up to have my top end bearing replaced and or piston/s checked for damage

Does anyone agree that the bearing that connect the piston to the conrod could be causing this noise, fast clicking noise and very loud outside of the car

So I learn the hard way once you run out of oil it can cost a fortune in repairs

ECOTEC engines do get thirsty with age not uncommon to use 2lts between services you need to keep an eye on it as they age.

The engines are fairly hardy but do burn oil

Sponsored Links
Back