Worth Taking Old Car Batteries For Scrap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got about 4 or 5 dead car batteries lying around the place, and getting pressure from 'er indoors to have a clear out. :rolleyes:

Is it worth lugging them to a scrap yard, or should I just put them out for recycling? What does a battery fetch?

Sponsored Links
Heavy though they are, they're worth nowt mate.....the lead inside has long since turned into lead sulphate.
John :)

A bit under half the value of lead scrap so could be worth it if you are taking some other stuff but definately not worth a trip on their own. It's also worth 'phoning the scrappy first to make sure they take them because some don't.

I regularly take all sorts of batteries to the scrappy, car batteries, golf trolley etc. As long as the battery has Pb stamped on it, they'll take them and they never check them. Right now the price is about £360/Tonne. That's 36p/Kilo. I've just weighed a Varta 065 equivalent (a medium sized car battery) and it was 15 Kilos so, that will be worth £5.40.

Sponsored Links
Take them and get the money, just out of curiosity, up this end worth £20 without going into weights etc.

Don't ever believe they are worth nothing.

Go sell them, you will make a few quid.

;)

The scrapyard will recycle them - so it just comes down to the mileage to scrappy vs recycling/civic amenity site - .With the price of UK fuel , it`s the main consideration :cry:

Back