Would an electrician accept this way of a rewire?

mgx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are redoing an entire open front room of our lower ground flat (room itself is ~25sqm), and as part of it, moving a kitchen from one side to the other, but want to make best use of our very limited funds. We will rewire the room entirely.

I'm thinking about doing the rewire myself. It's 10 years since I did my elec eng degree, and while I haven't done anything more than basic electrical work, I've worked on projects with far more complicated specs, so I'm pretty confident I can read printed and online material to get things right (will the IET give me 17th ed at a discount since I'm a member?). I've read through here on the self-certified vs. building control approaches.

Options available to me are:
(a) I do chasing and placements (boxes), let the electrician do the wires and everything else, i.e. all self certified.
(b) I do chasing, placements wires, connecting up to sockets, etc, but call the electrician before its sealed up to review it, connect it to the CU, test it and sign off on it, i.e. self certified
(c) I do it all, no electrician at all, entirely notified to BC and checked by them.

The only fear with (c) is that it will require yearly sign offs thereafter (such a hassle). Plus I have to prepare and submit my plans ahead of time. I've called my local BC to arrange a chat with them to understand their expectations on this one.

What I don't know about (b) or (a): as practicing electricians, would you accept a job like this, just to review (request corrections) and sign off on the work? Do you charge highly for this - even though no manual work and little time, presume you want to get paid for the expertise that goes into the certification. Or, do no electricians do this on principle, since it's not your own work? I don't actually mind paying a bit extra here in light of all this.

Thanks !

M

Sponsored Links
Don't know about a or b, think it is up to the man on the day. I know that they are not meant to sign for anyone elses work so it is best to ask the person doing the job.
As for C, I don't know where you are coming with the 1 year thing.
Once it is signed off that is it, finished as far as I am aware.
You are maybe confusing it with competent person schemes??

Don't know about a or b, think it is up to the man on the day. I know that they are not meant to sign for anyone elses work so it is best to ask the person doing the job.
As for C, I don't know where you are coming with the 1 year thing.
Once it is signed off that is it, finished as far as I am aware.
You are maybe confusing it with competent person schemes??

I am probably confusing it. I'll do some more reading.

As for (a) and (b), this is kind of what our builder did about 3 years ago on another flat renovation: he did all the wiring, and the electrician came in to check (fix a few things), test it and then certify it. But this could have been because they were mates, or regs were not so strict in 2005.

In principle it seems like no great deal to consider letting a customer first fix then I'd second fix/sign off, with certain conditions, such as all cable routes being available for inspection.

But it can easily be hassle which is why many are loath to touch it, cos inevitably you're gonna find yourself sorting out problems caused by misunderstandings and a lack of basic installation know-how on the part of the client doing the install.

yoda say, an electrical engineering degree make you a house basher doesn't.

Sponsored Links
Officially, a spark shouldn't sign off on someone else's work (even if they can inspect all of it etc), so could only issue a PIR (periodic inspection report), and not self certify under Part P.

This means you would need to notify building control anyway, so given it'll be the same notification fee to you either way (assuming your building control does what they're meant to according to the regs and doesn't try to make you pay for the testing (like mine is at the moment...)), why pay extra to get the inspection and testing done yourself - just let building control come in and do whatever testing they think necessary (talk to them to find out when they will want to inspect, as they may or may not want to see wiring before it is plastered in etc)...

LABC will probably want to see wiring before its plastered in - you need to tell them before you start & they will say what and when they want to see anything.

As a very busy spark, I dont mind jobs where the customer does the house bashing - your option (a). Chases need to be agreed with the spark beforehand as there are rules as to where stuff can go.

i would not touch option (b) with a pair of sterile surgical tweezers.

With option a or b you'll still have to pay somebody elses labour (the electricians) to check over the work and sign it off.

You might as well go with option c, you can get the notification form off your LABC website it usually costs about £120 for initial notification, (this can vary greatly), send the form and cheque off, then start work two days later (as far as im aware).

Make sure you leave everything you do, accesible. Keep everything NEAT and TIDY, and follow the book.

If your getting the 17th edition book with just this job in mind, its really not worth it. You'd be better getting this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electrician...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226998878&sr=8-1

As building inspectors are more interested in part p than BS7671,

Some of the best jobs ive seen domestic-wise have been installed by ameteurs.

Its unbelievable how much care you take when its your own house hehe.

Id have a go at doing it yourself, you cant really go wrong - Get it tested on completeion (Probably about £150).

Besides, your safe with an RCD anyway, cant go wrong.

Just make sure you use correct cable sizes'.

Besides, your safe with an RCD anyway, cant go wrong.
Bull poo.
Seen quite a few gone wrong.

And evan when working correctly, won't stop a fire caused by bad joints, undersized cables etc.

And evan when it does it's job and your "safe", that might mean it just refuses to engage!

some people seem to think circuit protection is some kind of super-efficient cover-all solution.

RCDs are installed as supplementary protection.

They should only be relied upon to protect you if proper circuit design somehow ends up operating outside it's design specification.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back