Would many plumbers do this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to replace all the pipework and radiators in my 3 bed semi. I would then pressure test and power flush it all.

Will many plumbers be ok just installing the boiler/flu (Worcester Bosch)etc and connecting it up to the pipework I supply?

I am not a CORGI reg person and need the boiler to be installed, commisioned and certified (ie if there is a certificate for when I sell the house in the future)

Thanks Jono.

Sponsored Links
Quite a few would, some won't as they are greedy and/or small minded and think they are the only ones who can do anything properly. The opposite is probably true in this case.

Well possibly, but the problem, from their point of view, is that their responsibility for the operation of the system would end with 1) do any of my fittings leak? and b) does the boiler fire up/shut down OK?

There are too many areas where the responsibility overlaps. 'The radiators aren't getting hot, the boiler isn't working properly,' springs to mind. If I were doing it I would want cash and a signed agreement up front.

Rgds.

I dont exactly understand what you are asking here. Its pretty obvious that some would and some would not.

We do and charge £180 for the essential bits of mounting bracket, fitting flue, fitting gas supply and commissioning boiler.

You need to ask your local firms but its essential that you agree the location first as there are many rules to comply with.

Tony

Sponsored Links
We would be about as much as tony

the guv'nor has decided to commision client installed stuff as he thinks that there are so many doing it now better for us to check it over at least

"""to commision client installed stuff"""

If you do that retrospectively after the client has fitted the boiler to the wall and fitted the flue then you are contravening CORGI regulations.

I went to a maintenance man installed boiler which had seriously exploded because of a flue installation fault.

Unfortunately an East Eupean CORGI issued a Landlords cert without realising how dangerous the flue was. CORGI/HSE will have been chasing him over it but the Landlord only got a letter ( and will have had to buy a new boiler )

Tony

Agile said:
"""to commision client installed stuff"""

If you do that retrospectively after the client has fitted the boiler to the wall and fitted the flue then you are contravening CORGI regulations.

I went to a maintenance man installed boiler which had seriously exploded because of a flue installation fault.

Unfortunately an East Eupean CORGI issued a Landlords cert without realising how dangerous the flue was. CORGI/HSE will have been chasing him over it but the Landlord only got a letter ( and will have had to buy a new boiler )

Tony

not quite true

how many safety checks do you do, and do you insist on proof that the installation has been installed by a CORGI engineer? In essence that gas safety check constitutes the commisioning of the appliance and gas installation, so it aint a great leap to comission any gas installation carried out by non RGI is it.

The regs follow the last bloke to work on it is to blame, which makes a mockery of worrying about who installed the appilance dont it?

and I wasnt entirley clear with my post, I meant the client pops in the flow and returns rads etc and we install gas line and boiler and flue.

Agile said:

Tony

Bloody hell Tony, I thought I went to some rubbish but judging by your recent posts you see more junk than me!

is your gas supply suitable for your new boiler.
the gas supply is very important as it needs to be correct.ie not leaking gas,correct discharge at highest demand and pressure drop across installation is correct.
get professional advice on your gas pipes before you start.

kevplumb said:
I wasnt entirley clear with my post, I meant the client pops in the flow and returns rads etc and we install gas line and boiler and flue.

jeez yer mellowing son :LOL: :LOL: ;)

its mum dad she keeps beating me

please come and take me away
:):)

PS happy fathers day this sunday I have got your usual a gift token to the pussy cat brothel
and a pie
:):):)

This is similar to the kind of thing I want doing. I will hang the rads on the walls, pipe them together with 22/15mm as and where, and leave the flow and return pipes sticking up the wall.

I then want the CORGI engineer to:-

- connect the appropriate sized gas pipe (22mm) from my meter to the boiler;
- fit the boiler to the wall and wire it into the timer etc;
- connect the mains cold water inlet and DHW outlet and rad flow/returns;
- fit the flue;
- add the condensant and drain fittings;
- fill the system including a corrosion inhibitor and possibly bleed the rads;
- test the system and balance the rads to ensure it's flowing OK.

(think that's all)

And then hopefully give me a certificate!

Again, the question is - would a plumber be happy to do this? Does it seem reasonable that I'do rather not pay a plumber to spend hours pulling up floorboards to pipe radiators together? Not wanting to sound controversial just interested in the general feeling before I start ringing for quotes (based in Lancs nr Preston if anyone is interested).

Thanks

I do have to say that Paul or anyone considering that for you would be well advised to get YOU to connect the heating circuit and pressurise it.

A long while ago I made that mistake! I arrived and he was just going to fill it up. Of course it leaked from almost every joint and I wasted an hour while he tries to stop the leaks until I told him that he would have to sort them out and I would come the next day to comission the boiler.

Now he had a PhD and still was not able to fit a heating system without leaks!

Tony

Tony

Thanks for that tip mate, guess what I have? Yes a PhD! :evil:

Not as useful in the real world as people would have you think - I know this from experience!

Anyway, I DO have some plumbing experience after ripping all the lead out of my house and replacing it with copper using solder ring fittings. I was meticulous in the joint preparation and if any didn't look ok I re-made them. Luckily not a single leak from any SR or compression fittings (YET!) And I spent a lot of time on here finding stuff out beforehand - learning from other people's mistakes I guess! :LOL:

I will have a go at filling the system and pressurising it myself - might require a bit of jiggery pokery with the cold water mains supply relative to my existing immersion heater storage tank etc, but its not that hard I suppose with a few fittings here and there and a blowtorch! (oh and some flux!)

What I wanted the "boiler fitter" to do was basically stop the cold water pipe's route to the storage tank (which will become redundant) and then divert the flow into the boiler (by putting an elbow/bend in). That would supply the water into the boiler, allow a filling loop to be fitted and then I can rip out the old hot water system.

Alternatively the fitter can connect the mains cold into the boiler, get paid and go home (and switch his phone off!) then I can fill the system and hold my breath!

Thanks for the reply

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back