Would these small downlights backwash?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right guys I have a bespoke curved ceiling where the curve is a drop ceiling.

Now this curve is if I use the terms correctly a cove i.e. where some strip LED can be placed to give a feathered lighting effect on the edges where the curve is.

Now on the base of this curved part of the ceiling close to the edge, I was wanting to add some small downlights but am afraid that since they are not fire rated i.e. open at the back they may backwash onto the ceiling above. Would this be the case or am I being paranoid for no reason?

Below are some photos of the curve

ceiling1.jpg

ceiling2.jpg

ceiling3.jpg

So to summarise if you look at the photos and follow the curve you can see it protrudes, in this protrusion there shall be some strip LED running all the way around. My initial intention is to add the downlights to thsi protrusion for two reasons. One there will be no frame work to hit so I dont need to take any studs into account when measurin around and secondly the cove part is at a distance away from the wall so its another worry i wont have.

My only concern really is the backwash bit.

Let me know what you think guys

NOTE:

The recessed downlights are similar to these only that mine are twist and lock at the front and also mains converted

http://www.toolstation.com/images/library/stock/webbig/12400.jpg

cheers

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Might as well get your best of the 80's CD's out too!

Why is that then? Lighting like this was perfectly acceptable in the 80's and i was born in the 80's too! Anyone got hugs for me :D

almost every club i go to these days has recessed lighting like this, looks just fine to me tho perhaps I'm showing my age lol! Each to their own tho!

almost every club i go to these days has recessed lighting like this, looks just fine to me tho perhaps I'm showing my age lol! Each to their own tho!

The point i'm trying to make is what looks ok in a club after several pints doesnt always look great in a house.

I was born in the 80's as well (81)

No hugs though mate, sorry :LOL: [/b]

oops i think ive led all you guys the wrong way.

I already have a solution for the uplight as mentioned above. I have something called Strip LED which is flexible and comes in rolls of 5 meters. In UK they cost average £85 per meter, it cost me £12 a meter as i trade in china regularly and one of the companies that supplies a lot of traders in UK I have great dealings with.

in width the strip is no more than 10mm so is very discrete. Those hose pipe type things are cheesy and rubbish.

The problem i am having here is that I am wanting to add some recessed lights in say 1.5 meter intervals along the curve and was intending to cut the holes out for the lights in the cove but am wondering whether the lights would "leak" some light upwards also

Since im unsure of whether you guys understand me i have made two illustrations which I hope clarify what im asking.

There is a birds eye view i.e. looking at the ceiling from above which should show that in effect both recessed lights and strip led are in the cove
lightill1.jpg

Furthermore here is a side view illustration showing the recessed light. Now lookin at the side view you can see that obviously the light will shine down but I was wanting to know whether there would be return light at the back that would shine up to the ceiling line also.
lightill2.jpg

If this si the case i have one solution only which is to place the recessed lights further back behind the backdrop as can be seen in the original photos but that would mean that some lights are too close to the wall and holes cannot be cut out properly

my intention is not to bombard the edges with loads of downlights maybe one every 1.5-2 meters which mean a total of around 8 recessed lights on the entire curve

Furthermore the lights are discrete i.e. white in colour so dont stand out too much as the drylining is now painted white.

my main concern is whether the lights will give a little light in the opposite direction i.e. upwards which is what i hope they dont do

Also bare in mind this is a design studio (which i designed all myself ;) )

Please can some person out there who has experienced using these downlights tell me if they "leak" any light upwards also?

I think you can get some lamps now which ahve the rear of the lamp blacked out to stop heat from being reflected backwards , so these would most likeley solve your light leaking out problem also, i think they were made by osram

Nick

o yeah i didnt think of that. Basically the continuous light will hit the light unit and break the smooth line.

Damn guys what would you suggest i do in that case. I can move the downlights further back but in two parts the light units will have to be too close to the wall which i am dreading

I think you can get some lamps now which ahve the rear of the lamp blacked out to stop heat from being reflected backwards , so these would most likeley solve your light leaking out problem also, i think they were made by osram

Nick

nick i can get hold of lots of such type of lights but the problem is the untis tend to be too high and will show up above the tray/cove

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back