Wouldn't this be cool...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
... a CH system controlled by the domestic PC. A device where you could set the temperature of every zone at any time of day or night, using a friendly interface on the home computer.

It would probably involve some kind of flash card which you can program as necessary. You'd also need a few more sensors around the house and a manual over-ride for those who want a quick boost.

Does such a thing exist? No doubt there are industrial systems but for the home environment at reasonable cost...?

Paul (trying to get away from silly arguments)

Sponsored Links
Interesting but looks like only part of the story. Graphic interface, switches etc? Quite expensive, as you say.

RS232? That's going back a bit!

Gasman: That looks interesting too. The blurb doesn't explain it very well, though.

Sponsored Links
PaulAH said:
RS232? That's going back a bit!
Not really. It gives you a backup method of connection, when the ethernet is not available (such as when you need to configure it in the first place). Even top of the range routers, bridges, switches, print servers, hubs etc.. still have RS232 connections to allow them to be configured using a terminal (or a PC).

PaulAH said:
Interesting but looks like only part of the story. Graphic interface, switches etc?
Since these things are so versatile, an ideal interface for every envisaged application would be pretty dificult to achieve. It wouldn't take much to write a tailor made winsock GUI for the job though. If you ever get around to buying them, drop me an Email and I'll write you a gui for it. (at a very resonable rate :D )

My heating is controlled by my pc as well as my lighting and the sockets too, oh and the outside lights and security system.

I can operate nearly everything from either a pc, the internet or sms.

it's not as expensive, or as complicated as you might think, and it saves me money as I use far less fuel (heating turns itself down when I go out or to sleep) and the temp control is far more accurate (to 1/100 of a degree C)

If you are in Bristol or nearby I'd be happy to demo.

I wear an old jumper. Beat that for price and temperature control.

joe

Ok we do have a woodburner, so it needs fuel, but I can operate it from the same rom that it heats, and when I go out, so does the woodburner. It has auto-user sensing, so it knows not to carry on heating when it has run out of wood. (I'm not daft enough to have central heating). :LOL:

It has auto-user sensing, so it knows not to carry on heating when it has run out of wood.

Isn't that known as "running out of wood"? :LOL:

Nowhere near Bristol, Toasty. Can you describe in a bit more detail (or is this a sales pitch? Call for Sof...)

...............and the temp control is far more accurate (to 1/100 of a degree C)

This has stuffed the credibility stakes. WHERE exactly (to within a few microns will do) is the temperature to within 1/100 deg. and what does the system do when a fly breaks wind on the far side of the room, and sends the sensor off the scale?

I used to run all the temperature and humidity plant in pharmecutical factory. It was all computer controlled with very fine tolerances. An average was taken from the 3 sensors in each room. So, if one of the machine operators squeaked out a hot one :mrgreen: then it wouldn't upset the readings. Glad I'm out of that...boring looking at screens all day :LOL:

Hi,

I've always wanted an automated house, so when we bought a house in need of repair, I thought I'd take the opportunity to automate it. The heating is just one part, but I automate it as follows:

I use these to control the power to the honeywell zone valves:
http://www.quasarelectronics.com/3108.htm - Serial port 8 channel relay
..although they can take mains, I use them to drive further (beefier) din mount relays for the valves and also for the underfloor elements.

The temperatures in all rooms (plus outside temp) are measured using 3 of these
http://www.quasarelectronics.com/3145.htm - serial port temp sensor

all fully populated so I have 12 sensors in total (they are very small, so I built them into the light switches in each room

I also have PIR sensors and reeds on the external doors for the alarm in each room, and these feed digital signals into the relay units (they have 4 digi inputs in each, and I have 4, so 16 inputs)

So that gives me all the inputs I need to know if anyone is home, where they are, and how warm it is in that room.

I just then use code (mainly shell scripts) plus some CGIs for the web end and also an SMS modem to accept texts.

The code is really rather simple, and I have about 3000 lines of the stuff which controls pretty much everything, for the ligths I use these units:

http://www.bpesolutions.com/dmxproduct.html.

The code looks something like this, so even if you aren't a coder, you can see it's quite readable:

#!/bin/bash
MAX_TEMP_UP="1800" # temp in C * 100
MIN_TEMP_UP="1700"
CUR_TEMP_UP=`./current_temps.bash | grep EM | awk '{ print $3 }' | sed s/" "//g
| sed s/'\.'//g`

MAX_TEMP_DOWN="1850" # temp in C * 100
MIN_TEMP_DOWN="1800"
CUR_TEMP_DOWN=`./current_temps.bash | grep LOU | awk '{ print $3 }' | sed s/" "/
/g | sed s/'\.'//g`

date
echo Max upstairs " =" $MAX_TEMP_UP " " Min upstairs " =" $MIN_TEMP_UP " " Cur
rent upstairs " =" $CUR_TEMP_UP
echo Max downstairs = $MAX_TEMP_DOWN " " Min downstairs = $MIN_TEMP_DOWN " " Cur
rent downstairs = $CUR_TEMP_DOWN

# Do some tests first
if [ $CUR_TEMP_UP -lt "100" ]
then echo Something wrong very cold upstairs ; exit
elif [ $CUR_TEMP_UP -gt "3000" ]
then echo Something wrong very hot upstairs ; exit
fi

if [ $CUR_TEMP_DOWN -lt "100" ]
then echo Something wrong very cold downstairs ; exit
elif [ $CUR_TEMP_DOWN -gt "3000" ]
then echo Something wrong very hot downstairs; exit
fi

# Heating decisions

if [ $CUR_TEMP_UP -lt $MIN_TEMP_UP ]
then echo HEATING SWITCH ON UPSTAIRS ; ./relay_put.kermit N6
elif [ $CUR_TEMP_UP -gt $MAX_TEMP_UP ]
then echo HEATING SWITCH OFF UPSTAIRS ; ./relay_put.kermit F6
fi

if [ $CUR_TEMP_DOWN -lt $MIN_TEMP_DOWN ]
then echo HEATING SWITCH ON DOWNSTAIRS ; ./relay_put.kermit N5
elif [ $CUR_TEMP_DOWN -gt $MAX_TEMP_DOWN ]
then echo HEATING SWITCH OFF DOWNSTAIRS ; ./relay_put.kermit F5
fi

In total I need about 10 serial ports for all my gear, I use an 8port serial card in the server and that does the job.

Hope that's of some interest to someone - most of my friends are sick of me talking about it, but it's easy to be enthuiastic about, it just works so well!!

toasty said:
I can operate nearly everything from either a pc, the internet or sms.

Sounds wonderful, if you can directly interface SMS text messaging to a modified programmer so I can turn my heating on from the station car park (or turn up the temperature, etc) I'd definitely be interested. I just don't want to have a PC running 24/7 to make it work.

So is there a stand alone SMS decoder out there that's not the size of a jumbo packet of cornflakes?

toasty said:
and the temp control is far more accurate (to 1/100 of a degree C)

Don't confuse accuracy with precision, it just gives ammo to those who will knock your efforts. The sensor may have a resolution of 1/100 degC but your control system will not achieve this, perhaps 1/2 degC.

If it's anywhere near as good as you say I'd be interested in looking at it further (apart from breaching BS7671 IEE regs by putting low voltage stuff in mains lighting enclosures), see profile for email.

I presume you use Linux as an OS for this system? How stable do you find it, and have you measured how much power the PC uses being on all the time?

I'd be interested in setting up something like this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back