Wtf Dewalt Metal Chuck Rusting After 1st Use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Purchased DCD796 combi drill last week.

Shockingly after one use, it has developed rust

Is this reason to get it swapped? Or is this to be expected?

Should I be performing some sort of maintenance to the chuck?

Attachments

• IMG_20211107_073249980_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211107_073249980_HDR.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 149
Sponsored Links
I dont think that's acceptable on what looks like a decent drill. Unless you've been splashing it with sea water!?

I dont think that's acceptable on what looks like a decent drill. Unless you've been splashing it with sea water!?
Loooool Only job it's performed was drilling a 8mm hole in some plasterboard

No sea water contact

Building the case.. Thanks

Dewalt are clearly using cheap metal and they must be aware of this.

I have removed the rust with white vinegar and gave it a light greasing with WD-40

Would silicone grease be okay as well?

Will contact retailer tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20211107_091410226_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211107_091410226_HDR.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 114
Sponsored Links
Not acceptable, the drill is very good though, light for its power. It is rare to find a drill so good in masonry and wood. The other rumour doing the rounds is that the chuck untightens at high speed, but I have not found that to be a problem, nor is there any sign of rust on the chuck despite being left in a cold loft for the last few weeks.

Blup

If youve been drilling plasterboard and left the dust in the chuck then the high alkalinity could cause rust to form especially if it got damp from say condensation

Last edited:
It's like most people who buy leather shoes and don't polish them before first wearing them. :cautious:

known issue with that drill. i know 2 people that have them, and they 1 has a lot of rust on it, and the other rusted shut, when it was a week old.

otherwise brutaly powerful drill.

can do 8x250mm timberlocks into 4x4 post in no time at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back