Wylex CU - 9kw load

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hob=6500 watts
oven=2500 watts

is 6mm t&e ok direct from the cooker power switch ?.

also, does butyl come in sizes like 2.5mm or 6.5mm ?.

Will i need to replace the 30A fuse for a 45A aswell ?.

cheers
Al

Sponsored Links
plug the oven into a socket like most people do (but not the one on the cooker connection unit)

cable is not available in 6.5mm

Hmmm...your design current is about 39A @ 230V for 9kW, so your nominal current is 40A. 6mm² is only good for up to 38A, unless clipped direct.
However, you're allowed to factor in diversity for cookers, so that brings your design current down to about 19A, in which case 6mm² is more than adequate and a 20A breaker would suffice.

I would say, though, that a 32A breaker is a better idea, as this will protect the cable if not clipped direct (i.e. within the wall) and will still handle a high current load (about 7.3kW). If the cooker (oven + hob) is run at full tilt, this breaker could trip, though, but I doubt it. I would think a 40A MCB would be too high and not protect the cable enough (mind you there are large safety tolerances involved here). Anyone care to comment?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back