Wylex NHS12SL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a new consumer unit fitted soon and agreed on the above with my electrician. We agreed I would source & buy it & he would fit.
I have found the unit but there are no MCB's included. Electrician told me what MCB's to get in terms of 32, 20, 16, 6 etc.
Electrician is on holiday at the moment & I want to be sure I'm getting the right ones.

If I get Wylex NHXB's - are these right for the above model?

Sponsored Links
What do Wylex say?

What do the websites of all the hundreds of businesses selling the CUs say?

What do the people from whom you bought the CU say?

Why didn't you buy the MCBs from the CU supplier at the same time?

What do Wylex say?

What do the websites of all the hundreds of businesses selling the CUs say?

What do the people from whom you bought the CU say?

Why didn't you buy the MCBs from the CU supplier at the same time?

How very helpful!
Every website I've looked on blinds me with abbreviations. Remember you're talking to a girl who knows NOTHING about electrics. I bought the consumer units by mail order so nobody to ask. I can't call as I'm working. Thought it would be a simple enough question for somebody who knows about these things, but if its too difficult for you I'll speak to Wylex.

Sponsored Links
Every website I've looked on blinds me with abbreviations.
They are just product code names - I doubt that anybody outside of Wylex actually knows what they stand for.

Remember you're talking to a girl who knows NOTHING about electrics.
Maybe you should have had your electrician supply the CU. He'd have got it cheaper than you can anyway.

I bought the consumer units by mail order so nobody to ask.
From a company that doesn't also sell the MCBs?

You must have researched prices to decide who to buy from, and you must have concluded that it would be cheaper to get an empty CU from one supplier and the MCBs from another.

How could you have done that without pricing up the MCBs?

Thought it would be a simple enough question for somebody who knows about these things, but if its too difficult for you I'll speak to Wylex.
Wylex CU-MCB compatibility.

Surely somebody on this forum can give me a "yes/no, you need these.... answer"
The forum states: Electrics UK
Questions, comments and enquiries related to household electrics in the UK.
Fair question I thought - why do I always attract the Moron!?!?
I live in hope!

Hi Galaxy

I just had a little alarm bell ringing in my head. I want to check that the unit you have bought meets the current wiring regulations.

Can you check the item code of the consumer unit.

You said NHS12SL

are you sure it is exactly that or did you mean NHRS12SL or something else?

Please advise. Also, can you say how many RCDs there are in the unit.
If you are not sure then here's what the various items look like...

Indeed. I have a feeling that isn't a "17th Edition" unit, so she may need RCBOs, not MCBs) to make it compliant (V expensive)

I assumed it was a typo for NHRS12SL, which is a traditional 2-section split-loader.

But her electrician has been involved - he chose the CU and the protective devices, so we have to trust that some circuits won't need RCDs and that he takes a lax position on 314.1(iii).

I'm sure that when he gets back from holiday everything will go smoothly.

Hi Taylor.
It is indeed an NHRS12SL.
We did have a conversation about changes in regulations, and the "new types" being overly sensitive. The electrician himself is undoubted, being one of my dad's oldest and closest friends before he passed away (my dad that is - not the electrician!)
Our reason for the choice of unit was that we have a large marine fish tank & need to avoid the heaters & lamps being turned off in the event of a house bulb blowing.
I'm not too concerned about whether it meets the latest "fad" so long as its safe - and be honest, judging by the state of the current consumer unit and electrical wiring (having only recently bought the house) - it has to be a safety improvement on what we have now!!
I've been told to get:
32 Amp x 6
20 Amp x 1
16 Amp x 1
6 Amp x 4

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back