wylex plug in mini trips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
anyone know if you can get anything other than type B in these plug in breakers which replace standard re-wirable fuses? when a bulb blows it takes out 6A type B trip, i wondered if anyone has got around this problemproblem.

Sponsored Links
for how often a bulb will blow, surely its not that much of an inconveniance to re-set it?

Sponsored Links
i thought early ones were type 2 or 1 or something who`s curve may have been better

i don't think you'll be able to get type C breakers for such an old board now.

either replace the consumer unit and fit a type C, or im afraid they'll have to put up with it. if the bulbs are blowing regularly, make sure 240v bulbs are being used instead of 230v. this will result in the problem occurring much less often. give bulb, 230, 240 a search and you should find the previous discussion on this.

fireman22 said:
i thought early ones were type 2 or 1 or something who`s curve may have been better
If they were early enough to have numbers they'd have been Type 1's - even more frisky than Bs, they trip if you so much as look at them sideways...

Plug -Would not think a B10 would solve the problem, a surge is a surge...

Carts or 3036's will not help either - they blow under the same circs, too.

You should NOT use C types in domestic situations.

Go out and buy fused lamps - that way, the fuses in the lamp should go first. And as has been mentioned 240 lamps, not 230....

Why not use type C in certain domestic situations - would you fit a 16A B type to a radial for a freezer - fie on you if you would - the risk of nuiscence tripping is too high, and there is no condition in which the 13A fuse is worth having.
A typical PC or TV has a 70-100A inrush so it is reasonable if its on a 32A ring (B type, 70-150A surge allowed) so it makes sense to allow the same on a radial 16A C type (also 70 -150A surge allowed) if false tripping trouble is to be avoided. On lighting circuits , as the clearing time is 5 seconds, not 0.4, unless the wiring is so long the earth impedance cant be met, a C6 is a sight safer than a B10, on 1mm wiring.
I agree sprinkling Ctypes willy nilly is not good, but there are many situations where they are exactly what is required.

mapj1 said:
Why not use type C in certain domestic situations - would you fit a 16A B type to a radial for a freezer - fie on you if you would - the risk of nuiscence tripping is too high, and there is no condition in which the 13A fuse is worth having.
A typical PC or TV has a 70-100A inrush so it is reasonable if its on a 32A ring (B type, 70-150A surge allowed) so it makes sense to allow the same on a radial 16A C type (also 70 -150A surge allowed) if false tripping trouble is to be avoided. On lighting circuits , as the clearing time is 5 seconds, not 0.4, unless the wiring is so long the earth impedance cant be met, a C6 is a sight safer than a B10, on 1mm wiring.
I agree sprinkling Ctypes willy nilly is not good, but there are many situations where they are exactly what is required.

Do you think installing C types in domestic is within the regs?

What's wrong with a 16A Type B radial?

Nuiscence tripping on domestic loads like large TVs, double fridge freezers etc, And for a garage where compressor/welder or whatever might be used.
Actually anything with an inrush more than 2*16a could trip a frisky B16.

This is the reason why on the continent, where 16A radials are the norm, C types used almost universally.
Of course, on a UK style ring, the same overload and inrush ratings is achieved by a combination of 13A fuse (for slight overload) and B32 for inrush, giving a combined curve that is more or less the same.
Please note I am not advocating c32s - many installations just don't have low enough Ze, and I'd agree that for ring circuits, B32 should be enough, or you should split the circuit.

(note edited for sign of Ze... sorry B-A-S)

nothing wrong with type C breakers provided Zs/Ze are met. This tends to not be a problem with lower ratings.

also mapj1 is right, the combination of B32 breaker and 13A BS1362 fuse is very similar to a C16 breaker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back