YALE alarm expert . . ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ahdsh

Hi I am a YALE alarm expert after installing a hundred of the alarms over the last year so if you have any questions at all with DIY fitting just ask me on this thread.. :D

Sponsored Links
I thought yale made locks?

I'll stick with an alarm manufacturer for my alarms.

You must have misunderstood my post.
It was for people carrying out DIY installations wanting advice not for unneccessary comments.

You must have misunderstood my post.
It was for people carrying out DIY installations wanting advice not for unneccessary droll comments.
If you don't believe Yale alarms work or are unfit for purpose then be my guest complain here http://www.yalelock.co.uk/en/yale/couk/Contact-us/
Yea, but don't forget if an insurance company wants someone to have an alarm system, a Yale will not be acceptable, even if it is already in place.

Sponsored Links
Yea, but don't forget if an insurance company wants someone to have an alarm system, a Yale will not be acceptable, even if it is already in place.

You are absolutely correct.
A YALE alarm is not insurance approved nor would it be approved for attatching to a monitoring centre (ARC)
YALE have placed the product pricewise below the level of professionaly installed alarms and they should therefore not be directly compared.
A properly installed YALE alarm will do exactly what it says on the box.
It will activate the siren if the sensors pick up a signal and the control panel will dial out to your mobile phone or other designated numbers.

The Yale alarms are useful to people who cannot afford the higher prices of a NACOSS or EN system.

Now that we have got that part of the discussion out of the way I am happy to give whatever advice I can to ensure that anyone installing a YALE alarm does so correctly.
With my personal experience I know the foibles and pitfalls involved and also how the systems can be best configured to get the most from the systems.

But it was something that had to be said, could save someone a lot of cash & aggravation, forewarned is forearmed

Just to get this subject rolling here are a couple of useful tips..

1. Always screw the magnetic door contacts in place.

Although they come with supplied double sided scotch tape in my experience you cannot rely on this to hold them in place.
The tamper spring is always applying pressure to force the unit from the door or window frame. The double sided tape will absorb any moisture particularly from a wooden door or in a kitchen environment leading to the unit unexpectedly detatching and causing a false alarm.

Make absolutely sure that the AAA batteries in the PIR sensors are properly placed and that the contact springs are making good contact with the negative contact of the battery.

Take great care when fastening the front of the PIR sensors in place. The batteries can slip leading to a loss of contact or a poor contact. This can lead to either a sensor that doesn't work or a sensor that can heat up due to high resistance of the circuit.

Press the learn/test button before leaving any sensor to ensure the red light comes on.
If in doubt check it again.

They read like they might be s***e!

Not at all , its just something you have to be aware of. The springs holding the batteries in place are also trying to push them out. When the PIR is screwed together there is no problem as a special pad in the mount holds the batteries in place. The problem comes when fitting the PIR front to the mount as you have to hook the top in first meaning the batteries are hanging upside down without support and can move.

I am a diyer and I would not even fit a yale alarm to a wheelie bin. Having that yellow bellbox box with yale on it says to burglars this is defiantly a diy alarm system fitted.

djrock

I am a diyer and I would not even fit a yale alarm to a wheelie bin. Having that yellow bellbox box with yale on it says to burglars this is defiantly a diy alarm system fitted.

djrock

Oh how boring.
I sincerely wish all you anti YALE keyboard warriors had either the balls to ring YALE up and tell them how crap you think their products are or SOME EXPERIENCE of YALE alarms so that you could actually back up what you are saying.
Lets get something straight here. Most people having a pop at YALE do so because they either
A. Have a vested interest in fitting other systems or
B. Dont actually have a clue what they are talking about.

This thread is supposed to be an informative one not a discussion.
any more anti YALE posts will be reported to moderators.
Can we keep this thread as intended please.
If you want to discuss the pros and cons of YALE I would be happy to do so on another thread if anyone wishes to start one.

The whole point of this thread is to give tips and advice to anyone with problems or unsure about how to fit or get the best from their YALE system.
Can I just point out that a YALE system is sometimes all that a particular individual or family may be able to afford and anti YALE comments can therefore come accross as insulting.
I can assure you I have replaced many so called 'professional installations' that I wouldn't expect to see on a wheelie bin either.
Now back on topic and any further YALE bashing in this thread will be reported.
If you want to tell me of a YALE system that you personally know about that gave problems then go ahead and I will endevour to point out where they went wrong.
Thankyou
Mark

Many reasons to steer clear of these Argos type bargains!

Who would ever consider that a pair contacts stuck on with sticky pads is something to rely on?

Yukky stuff.

I think it is only fair people to see the general consensus of opinion when it comes to kit - deleting posts and hiding others opinions seems unfair.

I also don't see the point in this thread, which eventually will just vanish pages and pages down where no one will find it. Why don't you just wait for someone to start a thread asking for help?

If you do report this to a moderator, I do hope they leave the thread as it is, or delete it in it's entirety.

Just to get this subject rolling here are a couple of useful tips..

1. Always screw the magnetic door contacts in place.

Although they come with supplied double sided scotch tape in my experience you cannot rely on this to hold them in place.
The tamper spring is always applying pressure to force the unit from the door or window frame. The double sided tape will absorb any moisture particularly from a wooden door or in a kitchen environment leading to the unit unexpectedly detatching and causing a false alarm.

Make absolutely sure that the AAA batteries in the PIR sensors are properly placed and that the contact springs are making good contact with the negative contact of the battery.

Take great care when fastening the front of the PIR sensors in place. The batteries can slip leading to a loss of contact or a poor contact. This can lead to either a sensor that doesn't work or a sensor that can heat up due to high resistance of the circuit.

Press the learn/test button before leaving any sensor to ensure the red light comes on.
If in doubt check it again.

Many reasons to steer clear of these Argos type bargains!

Who would ever consider that a pair contacts stuck on with sticky pads is something to rely on?

Yukky stuff.

I think it is only fair people to see the general consensus of opinion when it comes to kit - deleting posts and hiding others opinions seems unfair.

I also don't see the point in this thread, which eventually will just vanish pages and pages down where no one will find it. Why don't you just wait for someone to start a thread asking for help?

If you do report this to a moderator, I do hope they leave the thread as it is, or delete it in it's entirety.

If you had read my first piece of advice it was to screw the door contacts in place. They already come with pushouts and screws provided. The post was to warn against people being lazy and relying on the double sided pads.

This thread may well dissapear but will come up when anyone searches YALE so starting a thread with this title is a useful idea.

This website is to help people with DIY is it not?

YET again another generalised slagging of the YALE alarms without any specific reasons or experience to back up the claims.

If you want to talk about being fair then stop slagging off something you don't know about because you have a financial interest in something else.
I presume you have actually fitted a YALE alarm and have used one for a year or so?... no? . . thought not.

If you wish to add a more specific anti YALE comment then please feel free but be warned that you are exposing the ISP of this website and forum to libel claims.

Now can I get on with helping people please?

To me that suggests an economy in design and manufacturing costs. If the battery holder is not reliable how many other parts of the system are a compromise between cost and reliability.

I am not an expert in alarms systems but I have had 12 years experience in designing equipment used in wireless communications for security and life critical applications.

Wireless is often the only option when one or more of the communicating items must be mobile in use. Where all items are fixed then the use of wireless should be the last resort.

FFS give the guy a break

he's just trying to help people

I have a commercial system, and the annual maintenance alone exceeds the cost of a simple DIY system

Who can tell me that for those who can't afford better, a simple DIY alarm isn't some use in persuading the criminal to burgle someone else?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back