YALE alarm expert . . ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for recognising that to some people a DIY alarm is neccessary. Your support is appreciated.
Demographically the most burglaries happen in the poorer areas. Also many people when moving into a new home especially first time buyers cannot afford the cost of a NACOSS or SSIA system.
There is a niche the YALE systems provide for.

There are many electricians who post on these forums who do not have NACOSS approval , does that mean they should also be roundly condemmed for fitting alarms?
As for reliability?
Take a look at this actual forum and how many threads are because people are having trouble with 'professionally' installed hardwired alarms.
Wouldn't that give me justification to claim that hardwired professional installs were rubbish too?

It looks like your missing things out to make Yale alarms sound very good.

You don’t need a NACOSS company to install an alarm. Most electricians could install a wired one. Nothing wrong with that.

If you don’t service an alarm that includes yale it will eventually cause problems. Thats one reason why people have problems with there pro installed alarm.

djrock

Sponsored Links
And I have no vested interest or monetary gains from not fitting Yale - If I am fitting an alarm I will fit a wired alarm, I wouldn't choose the Yale for several reasons, one being that it is a DIY system, and someone asking me to install an alarm would expect something more profesional.

There are also other wired alarms I would not fit for similar reasons.

It's just like the choice of consumer units (there are brands I will not touch, and when I see that others have installed them I do wonder what possesed them). Similarly with brands of accessories, smoke detectors, computers, mobile phones, cars etc.

If Yale does it for you, thats your call. I will still see it as cheap budget tat. Thats my opinion.

err, this is a DIY forum :rolleyes:
Err yea, but this is fastalarms trying to give everyone who has a problem with their DiY Yale alarm, he installs them professionally!

Not doing one today though he has been around here all morning!

Sponsored Links
Of course you don't have to be NACOSS to install alarms the point I was making is that when you draw a line somewhere where do you stop.

My home alarm was installed by a non NACOSS installer , an electrician and it hasn't given me any trouble. However I know a little better now and I am dismayed he used a PIR as the EE device instead of a magnetic door contact.
I have been to alarms installed by professionals who have used one zone and wire for five sensors.

I am not trying to make out that YALE are better than anything else or even the same. I am simply pointing out that they offer a viable alternative if funds are tight.

err, this is a DIY forum :rolleyes:
Err yea, but this is fastalarms trying to give everyone who has a problem with their DiY Yale alarm, he installs them professionally!

Not doing one today though he has been around here all morning!

There is as mentioned a need for YALE or something similar.
I am offering FREE advice on here to anyone who needs it using the experience I have built up from installling over a hundred.
Someone with only £200 to spend for example would not even be able to afford a basic system.
Old ladies at 86 can't climb ladders either.

Leave the man alone and let him help anyone who needs it.

fastalarms, you say about the safes that you give a cert. to the insurers saying it was fited to brick or concrete. Can they be fitted to a wood floor and be just as secure?

fastalarms, you say about the safes that you give a cert. to the insurers saying it was fited to brick or concrete. Can they be fitted to a wood floor and be just as secure?
Unfortunately not. The insurance approval only applies if they are secured by 4 expansion bolts into brick or concrete.
Every home has a brick wall somehwere it just takes a bit of imagination as to where to put it.
Inside kitchen units or wardrobes is a good place. Many modern homes dont have a cubby area.
Also bear in mind if you have a burglar alarm to place the safe in a protected area so that the alarm will sound if they enter the room where the safe is. This may prevent them looking for it.
If you put a safe in a bedroom for example if the burglars get in and the bedroom isn't covered by an alarm sensor they could spend hours breaking into the safe unchallenged.

One would think 4 coach bolts into joists would do an adequate job? I wouldn't feel right putting a safe on a wall. So easily knocked off with a sledgy.

put it in an awkward corner, e.g. under the stairs, where it is hard to get a good swing at it or poke it with tools.

The ones set into a concrete floor are particularly well-protected.

It should anyway be out of sight of casual visitors so they won't know you've got one, or where it is.

Nothing wrong with having five sensors to one zone just makes fault finding a pain. I wouldn’t do it.

What sort of yale kit would you get for £200?

Since for £247 you could get Infinite Prime Panel, 3 pirs, fob, mag contact, wirefree ext sounder module, Texecom ody 1e bell, 3a spur and 5m of cable from AE.

djrock

For £340 (by memory) i got :- 2 live sirens, 5 PIR's, 6 door contacts and 2 keypads. By contrast the new build is wired and is about the same spec-£680. However that is at build stage, if the house was built i am sure it would cost a LOT more than that. Yale has it's place and, IMO, is better than nothing at all.

I presume the £247 is pre vat so you are looking at £285
For £285 I can purchase
1 x telecommunicating control panel with inbuilt siren
2 x external working sirens
7 x infra red movement sensors
2 x door contacts
1 x remote keypad
2 x remote keyfobs
1 x linked smoke alarm

That would cost Joe Public more than I pay of course but what I meant was what could someone get installed for £200
I could install an external siren
2 x door contacts
3 x pir sensors
1 x remote keypad
for only £189.98

What grade 2 kit could a customer have installed for that budget?

I would just like to add that I bought some grade 2 equipment and the quality of the actual plastic parts was far below the YALE products and looked and felt very cheap despite their superior circuitry (In terms of meeting standards)

One would think 4 coach bolts into joists would do an adequate job? I wouldn't feel right putting a safe on a wall. So easily knocked off with a sledgy.

I am sure it would be very secure coachbolted into joists but it would still be easier to defeat than bolts into concrete.
A lump hammer and chisel would prize it up given enough time and of course the joists could simply be sawn.
I wouldn't place a safe on a wall in isolation only if inside a wardrobe or cupboard etc.
The Yale safes have been reinforced and weigh a healthy 20kgs for a small safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back