YALE alarm expert . . ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another tip for YALE alarm installers...

If installing a YALE 6400 system with a number of devices.. say four or five movement sensors for example It is better to set up the system as follows.

Only register one device when initially setting up the system.
I usually do one door contact before going straight on to the siren enrol.

The reason being when you initially put devices into the system at start up you cannot specify either their name or their setting entry/burglar/home.
You have to go into the edit device menu again after start up.

So why bother doing something twice?

After you have done the start up settings it is easier to then go back into programming mode and use the add device option which walks you through each enrol allowing you to select all the parameters as you go and saving the time that would be taken going into edit mode to do exactly the same after already learning them in earlier.

Sponsored Links
Do you have a vested interest in YALE alarms?

Im curious as to why you feel the need to type YALE in caps every time?

Whoops , yeah it is kind of odd isn't it? better make it yale from now on.. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
If you wish to add a more specific anti YALE comment then please feel free but be warned that you are exposing the ISP of this website and forum to libel claims.

Now can I get on with helping people please?

What utter nonsense.
Only reason you posted this thread is to help yourself, or more specifically, your business.

That said, you've crashed and burned elsewhere on this topic before.

I'm just here to give advice to DIY people on a DIY subject.
My financial interest cannot be served on a national forum since I only have a commercial area of around 20 miles from where I live so it stands to reason that all I will be giving out here is free advice to whoever wants it.
The only benefit that may come my way is if the perception of the Yale alarms is lifted but thats an uphill struggle due to the many vociferous critics that seem only too happy to jump in guns blazing.

Life is always a balance of needs , reality and compromise. Nobody gets what they want when they want everytime.

Take this week. A single nurse was burgled. She lived on her own and decided she needed a burglar alarm. She contacted me because she needed an alarm. The police already informed her that in all likelyhood the burglars would return in a few weeks when they knew the insurance would have replaced her laptop and flatscreen.
She worried about being alone at night and wanted an alarm to cover the house while she was working odd hours on shifts.
No doubt the police suggested a NACOSS approved installer. The problem was she was borassic lint , skint. When I told her I could fit one for a price she could afford she was delighted. When I showed her the keypad could be removed from its holder she was even more delighted knowing she could arm downstairs at night and activate the alarm with panic buttons by her bed if neccessary at no extra cost.
It would bother me not one bit if in three months she decided to replace the alarm I fitted with a grade 2 system. I was happy to help when she needed it.
I haven't come on here to start trouble with any other alarm installers , I have come on here to offer advice and soothe the minds of some who may worry. I didn't even come on here to advertise. I was drawn into discussing prices by sceptics questioning me.
Quite frankly my only concern is actually helping people because I see two to three burgled people a week.
I always always always recieve people jumping in and saying the Yale stuff is rubbish. Typical was the earlier comment that someone wouldn't even put it on a wheelie bin.
Unfortunately for them my experience proves the exact opposite. All my systems have worked exactly as designed. All 120 of them I have fitted this year already.
I had a customer who wanted his whole house alarmed and his garage covering too as he was worried about someone stealing his mountain bikes. I fitted a telecommunicating alarm.
He was half way up a ski slope in the French Alps in a chairlift when he received a call on his mobile from his alarm telling him he was being burgled.
He called his next door neighbour who went round to find the gardener had gone into the garage to fasten the hose pipe on and had set the alarm off.
I didn't get an irate phone call from a customer who was annoyed at a false alarm , I got a customer who was impressed with how efficient the system was.
Now if this thread is finally rid of the naysayers and sceptics I will as mentioned be more than happy to assist anyone who is currently installing or considering installing a Yale alarm.

This is after all the stated aim of this website according to the welcome page notes.

I presume the £247 is pre vat so you are looking at £285
For £285 I can purchase
1 x telecommunicating control panel with inbuilt siren
2 x external working sirens
7 x infra red movement sensors
2 x door contacts
1 x remote keypad
2 x remote keyfobs
1 x linked smoke alarm

That would cost Joe Public more than I pay of course but what I meant was what could someone get installed for £200
I could install an external siren
2 x door contacts
3 x pir sensors
1 x remote keypad
for only £189.98

What grade 2 kit could a customer have installed for that budget?

I would just like to add that I bought some grade 2 equipment and the quality of the actual plastic parts was far below the YALE products and looked and felt very cheap despite their superior circuitry (In terms of meeting standards)

£247 includes vat but I’m sure it will be cheaper to the trade.

It does not matter much about the quality of the plastic parts but the actual electronics.

It does not matter much about the quality of the plastic parts but the actual electronics.
I agree allthough the reasons that the Yale equipment isn't class 2 is not strictly down to any concerns over the electronics.
There are technical reasons preventing the Yale from not being suitable for ACPO approval and those are only having a fault log with 30 recorded events , not having sequential signalling and only having a ten hour mains failure battery back up.
Yale decided which parts it considered weren't neccessary for its target market and concentrated on the parts it considered were.
The results were an easy to install system that does what it says on the tin.
If I were really to nitpick and tell you where I think Yale could improve the systems it would not be over performance issues but in the lack of some important devices.
I would like a dual tech pir for conservatories or a break glass sensor.
With over 120 systems installed by myself this year you would think I would be swamped with phone calls by angry customers complaining of faulty alarms or false alarms since I give 12 months parts and labour cover but I simply am not.
I have had to return to only five systems and the issues were easily resolved. Only two were due to component failure. One was a siren that flashed an led continuously when it shouldn't , one was down to a keypad failure but it had teethmarks and a guilty looking dog the other three were to reposition pet friendly sensors because cats were climbing on shelves etc and getting too close to the sensors or they had stair bannisters in their field of view.
I have had many referals from satisfied clients and several who have had further systems installed on other properties.
Believe me if I had been having difficulties with Yale systems and was frustrated with their performance I would be the first to warn everyone on a forum to steer clear.

Anyway....

A further few tips.

MOUNTING THE EXTERNAL SIREN
When installing the external siren I always drill the mounting holes on the backplate out to increase their size to 5mm.
This enables you to use a tipex lid to mark the drilling holes on the wall using the backplate as a template.

MOUNTING A PIR
When mounting a pir sensor I always just use two holes on one side of the pir backplate.
I initially used to use a hole on each side but quickly found that it is very rare to get a square room or a corner at 90degrees even in new homes. If you mount into both walls it can distort the backplate as it is pulled out of square making fitting the pir front difficult as the design requires a perfect fit.

TRUNKING
I always use some white trunking of around 22mm when installing a 6400 telecommunicating system.
The trunking coming from the plug point to the control panel is ideal for concealing any excess telephone or power supply cable making the job look much neater.

I always keep some tipex in my tool box to mark drill holes too :confused:

I have always fixed PIR's with two screws on the one side, I always thought this to be common sense. You should also always ensure your holes for the screws are as small as possible to prevent any bugs getting in - This goes for cable entries in decent system.

When you say you trunk the cables to the socket, are you saying the comms are plugged in? How about the power? Umm.....not sure I would favour that!

I always keep some tipex in my tool box to mark drill holes too :confused:

I have always fixed PIR's with two screws on the one side, I always thought this to be common sense. You should also always ensure your holes for the screws are as small as possible to prevent any bugs getting in - This goes for cable entries in decent system.

When you say you trunk the cables to the socket, are you saying the comms are plugged in? How about the power? Umm.....not sure I would favour that!
The power to the control panel is not a 240v cable it is a thin 12v dc lead from a transformer plugged into a 3 pin.
I know my tips may seem obvious to someone experienced like yourself but these tips are to help people installing their very first alarm as a DIY project. So yes I will be reinventing the wheel for some people.

My point was not mixing the two cables in the same trunk, but more that you can unplug the power supply and the comms.

I presume the £247 is pre vat so you are looking at £285
For £285 I can purchase
1 x telecommunicating control panel with inbuilt siren
2 x external working sirens
7 x infra red movement sensors
2 x door contacts
1 x remote keypad
2 x remote keyfobs
1 x linked smoke alarm

That would cost Joe Public more than I pay of course but what I meant was what could someone get installed for £200
I could install an external siren
2 x door contacts
3 x pir sensors
1 x remote keypad
for only £189.98

What grade 2 kit could a customer have installed for that budget?

I would just like to add that I bought some grade 2 equipment and the quality of the actual plastic parts was far below the YALE products and looked and felt very cheap despite their superior circuitry (In terms of meeting standards)

If your stated aim is to advice DIY installation and use of Yale product, how much you charge to install or what you pay for the kit is irrelevant - but then you are trying to sell your services.

As for pricing of competitive and far superior Wireless products - compliant to EN50131 Grade 2. Google is your friend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back