Yellow Stain on Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi Everyone,

I've noticed a light patch of yellow stain at the top corner of my kitchen wall (please see photo attached). Right above the kitchen is a bathroom. I'm wondering if this may be a sign of leakage or something else, and if it is leakage, how much it will cost to fix (approximately).

I would really appreciate any advise from anyone who sees this post.

Thank you so much in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_4569.JPG
    IMG_4569.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 4,503
Sponsored Links
Even though it's stained, is the wall actually wet??

Hi Dan, thank you for your reply. No the wall is not wet. The property is about 12 years old.

Sponsored Links
id have a look at the sealant first make sure the silicone is all ok around the bottom and around the screen and make sure the tiling and grout is ok nothing loose or missing. Is it an electric shower?

The silicone around the shower are ok. Tiling and grout are ok, except one of the tile (about 1 meter away from the shower) has a crack through it. Its not an electric shower.
Im really worried that this might be a leakage which i believe is going to cost me a lot of money to fix. Are there any other possibilities if its not a leakage?

I expect that it is a dried out leak.

To test the shower you need to spray water all over the shower walls so the sealing is wetted for at least 10-15 minutes and then see if real leakage occurs.

Hi Agile, I shall definitely test it out, but im thinking could it maybe be that the water is leaking through the pipe as well. If so, how can i distinguish whether if its the sealing of the shower walls or a leakage in the pipe.

Are there any other possibilities if its not a leakage?

Thank you all for your replies.

Often things can leak even when they look alright.

Supply pipes will always have pressure and so will always leak.

If grout is OK then it can still be the waste pipe.

Best test for this is to put plug in and fill up shower tray to the top and then let water out of the drain.

Tony

Thanks for your reply Tony.

Keen to hear more opinions from others.

Cheers.

These are not opinions but ways to test to identify what is leaking.

Tony

Keen to hear others' opinion on whether there are other possible explanations, if not a leakage.

Get a cheapy Moisture/damp meter that will tell if its still wet or dry,

It could be due to cooking or steam as its in the Kitchen

41qFcUv+43L._AC_US160_.jpg

To test the drain: run a hose (from shower or elsewhere) so that it discharges into the shower tray only without splashing. Run for 15-20 mins. Check below.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back