Yet again my life was on the line

securespark said:
Yes, I support local cyclists: I used to cycle 50 miles at a time myself. And yes, it amazed me the hostility between us two-wheelers and drivers.

But, and this has come to me as a car driver who has had many "fault" and "non-fault" accidents in the past, I have come to believe there is a great deal one can do to drive/ride defensively, and avoid a great many situations where danger lurks.

Just because an accident or "near-miss" is not your fault does not mean there wasn't anything you could have done to avoid that situation arising.

If you're sceptical, try one advanced driving lesson. It'll change your mind, I promise you.
typical answer from a car driver ? COULDNT U AVOID IT :LOL:

Sure i could if i had eyes in the back of my head , you need to remember a cycle has a 17 to 30 mph max speed with little manouverablitly when cornered = roundabouts = your at the mercy of traffic
junctions = your at the mercy of traffic

as for the advanced driving carp i have done that on the motorbike and it was way overated
gl on the roads i have my rockets and will use them :LOL:

Sponsored Links
why do cyclists not use the cycle paths that are provided and instead use the road and have near misses when are a car approaches an island/bollard in the middle of the road :evil: and they don't stop at crossings or traffic lights either.
I used to cycle to work but its just too risky as it seemed that every motorist thought i was invisible(i never jumped the traffic lights though)
i nearly hit a cyclist when he swerved in front of me to avoid a BUMP in the road but as he was on a MOUNTAIN BIKE WITH SUSPENSION AND 99 GEARS THAT IS CAPABLE OF GOING UP MOUNT EVEREST his bike might not have made been made for it :eek:
i think the roads are far to dangerous for bikes especially for kids because of the attitude of motorists (me included)
ahhh thats better,rant over. ;)

ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
why do cyclists not use the cycle paths that are provided and instead use the road and have near misses when are a car approaches an island/bollard in the middle of the road :evil:
Because many roads dont have adjacent cycle paths. 10 years ago here, the council spent a fortune building dedicated cycle paths in red tarmac, adjacent to the footpath, but sunk down with a kerb between them, so it was seperate. About a mile stretch to the town centre. Then every cycle path they have built since then is just painted on. :( Shame they couldn't keep up the effort with making drop kerbs etc.

and they don't stop at crossings or traffic lights either.
AFAIK, if they dismount, they dont have to. :cool: They are then a pedestrian. ;)

I used to cycle to work but its just too risky as it seemed that every motorist thought i was invisible(i never jumped the traffic lights though)
i nearly hit a cyclist when he swerved in front of me to avoid a BUMP in the road but as he was on a MOUNTAIN BIKE WITH SUSPENSION AND 99 GEARS THAT IS CAPABLE OF GOING UP MOUNT EVEREST his bike might not have made been made for it :eek:
i think the roads are far to dangerous for bikes especially for kids because of the attitude of motorists (me included)
agreed, I have the habit of riding on the pavement, I just consider the roads too dangerous. The police always turn a blind eye lol. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Cars should be banned {and dogs} and the roads made over to bikes and their riders, that bloke that was in a jet car crash was a prat and gloryfieing speed, someone said he encourages kids to go fast, they get their names on a grave stone he gets his name on a helicopter, thats true.
these are my humble thoughts.

um! kate humble ;)

Back