Yet another Corgi question!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't want upset anyone, as sometimes questions do, but....

How many people are leaving Corgi registration and how many are joining as gas fitters. Corgi say possibly 20,000 people are working without proper training or registration?

Sponsored Links
Don't want upset anyone, as sometimes questions do, but....

How many people are leaving Corgi registration and how many are joining as gas fitters. Corgi say possibly 20,000 people are working without proper training or registration?

I think the kennel club should add a 0 on the end, there must be more than that in London alone.

And how many are registered without proper training.
It is very easy to work without being registered know people who have done it for years

I only know of one who decided to leave. He now works with a team of immigrants, all from a mobile phone. Once "in" it doesn't take too much effort to stay in (of the order of a tenner a week) so people do.

People untrained and unregistered working in gas? Probably account for 25% of all new installations I see,

People (almost) untrained and registered? A lot, maybe two thirds? (Includes me, by the way).

People who've been through a gas apprenticeship or something substantial? Very few I'd have thought. Some old farts, plus namsag of course ;)

Sponsored Links
There seems to be very different views of gas fitting. Out of the qualified/registered crowd some say its extremely serious/dangerous business. Other say its quite simple once you have got the fundamentals of its properties and safety!
So is it a "Bomb Disposal" type job or fitting with more background knowledge.
Regards the people that fit gas without training/experience, they could never be popular after a regular guy has spent 1000's on his qualifications (safety to one side).
Problem is, if all these young men training leave the local college and get knocked back by Corgi because they don't have any experience. Then local gas fitters refuse to bring them on board (because of of possible competition), then some with do it anyway!
Food for thought?

nobody is an "expert" your learning all the time

corgi is a tax nothing more apart from a pain in the wallet

and if they wanna catch me they have got a long way to run ;) :D

I was doing a little job for a friend and there was this plumber fitting an outside tap.

He told me he was currently taking his ACS and had done the core safety and was going to do the appliances shortly.

The next day the friend told me that he had told her that he "was qualified" to do gas work.

Based on that and the fact that he is cheap ( comes from a third world country ) she got him to cut and cap an "old" 22 mm gas pipe in the hall which the fellow in the other flat said was definately no longer in use.

Rather backfired though because the fellow now has no gas to his boiler! For a couple of days he still firmly maintained that it was nothing to do with that pipe! It later dawned on him that he had been wrong and he is now accusing her of cutting off his gas supply!

I am sure an experienced person would have checked first???

Naughty doing this work when not CORGI registered but thats what so many are doing now!

Tony

I was doing a little job for a friend and there was this plumber fitting an outside tap.

He told me he was currently taking his ACS and had done the core safety and was going to do the appliances shortly.

The next day the friend told me that he had told her that he "was qualified" to do gas work.

Based on that and the fact that he is cheap ( comes from a third world country ) she got him to cut and cap an "old" 22 mm gas pipe in the hall which the fellow in the other flat said was definately no longer in use.

Rather backfired though because the fellow now has no gas to his boiler! For a couple of days he still firmly maintained that it was nothing to do with that pipe! It later dawned on him that he had been wrong and he is now accusing her of cutting off his gas supply!

I am sure an experienced person would have checked first???

Naughty doing this work when not CORGI registered but thats what so many are doing now!

Tony

Why not report people working outside the law, that would stop it happening?

When working for my old boss I was training at college and at the same time been told to put combis in and doing the odd bit of gas work. I did the gas work for experience and becuase my boss had me by the balls in effect basicly i did the work to get me thru my apprentership.

One of the qualified lads used to come check then sign the work off...this was ok for a few months untill the lad got bored of comming to a job... then I found my self doing jobs and signing them off with my boss's corgi num and my name...he said it was ok? dodgy situation to be in...

im safe at work and and have a good understanding of it all..just learning about fault finding to move on

----

4 yrs at college is a long time in any ones language

There are far more dangerous activities than working with gas in a domestic environment.

Armed with some key skills, tools and a degree of common sense anyone can do it.

You've far more chance electrocuting yourself than blowing yourself up IMO.

And Corgi is just a money spinning exercise ... If the Government were serious about gas safety they would legislate for it in a more robust manner.

MW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back