Your opinion on Leyland acrylic gloss?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got two tins of this stuff to do interior woodwork and doors. Our hallway gets almost zero daylight, and the missus likes to crank the heating, so I wanted something non-yellowing.

Thing is it's like feckin cheese. It'll keep a wet edge but only if you're painting a line 2" wide. I got some Floetrol for it, and at about 4:1 it keeps wet for much longer and it's alright for the skirting where the brush marks aren't so obvious but still doesn't flow ant won't even come close to levelling on the doors, even when they're taken down and laid flat.

Anybody else used it? If so do you know how it compares to other acrylics? I've pretty much decided I can't use it for the doors, so I'm going to have to get something else - any recommendations? Doesn't have to be gloss.

Sponsored Links
After a bit of research I went for Johnstone's acrylic eggshell. With some practice and a couple of false starts I managed to get it fairly even. Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but good enough for 40yo cheapo council doors.

Hats off to you pros though. I consider myself an ok painter, but that was seriously difficult and quite frustrating - the tin nearly went out the window a couple of times :LOL:

Its trial and error with a lot of products when you first use them. Things are changing all the time and its only with contiually using things that you get to know what works and what doesnt regardless of manafacturer claims.

Jonstones and dulux acrylic gloss had the better sheen, but doesnt cover as well as leyland...but the leyland sheen looks like vinyl silk.

Jonstones acrylic eggshell is good gear though

Sponsored Links
Jonstones and dulux acrylic gloss had the better sheen, but doesnt cover as well as leyland...but the leyland sheen looks like vinyl silk.

Jonstones acrylic eggshell is good gear though

Hi zampa,

I want to do this myself using acrylic eggshell, do the doors need priming first? They are standard cheapy doors, laminated??

Thanks

If they are the type of doors I think your talking about all you need to do is knot and prime the edges..then paint the whole lot with your acrylic eggshell

Use a shortish pile rad roller for the main part of the doors and run a brush around the moldings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back