Zafira Dti 2004 - loss of heating, power steering,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Out as normal car starts and drove fine, but Mrs heard (described a pop noise) and the steering went heavy, also heating has gone, only blowing cold air. The other factor was the warning light on dash came on and stays on (its the battery indicating red.

It had a brand new battery 6 months ago.

three things all go at once, i am guessing indicates a problem somewhere. Hopeful it might indicate what has happened. Getting to stage where its not worth spending on it again.

May not be relevant but also central locking stopped working the other day, if you reset it it worked for a while, then off again.

Sponsored Links
Well, I'd check the alternator drive belt; this usually drives the alternator, water pump and power steering pump. If the alternator stops, the red light comes on; if the water pump stops, no hot water gets to the heater; if the power steering pump stops your wife develops immense biceps.

Does the auxiliary belt drive the water pump on these?
If the pump stops, the engine boils......sure sounds like a snapping belt otherwise.
John :)

Sponsored Links
excuse the ignorance is an Auxiliary belt and alternator belt the same thing ?

looked under the bonnet today and could see the belt off (actually still there but off) guess it will need replaced any idea of costs. Hope it is just a belt and that sorts out the steering and the heating.

Just found out the person i normally go to is out of the country hence why i cant get him. I will try to get someone else to come but want to make sure they don't try to rip me off, unfortunately like several industries these days it happens.

A belt will be around a tenner or a bit more....as for the fitting time, I can't comment as I've never done one, but I'd be surprised if it was more than an hour.
Can I ask you to check your coolant level before doing anything else.....it's the heating situation that I'm not too sure about.

FWIW the Zafira (like the Astra and many other Vauxhall models) has an electrically operated power steering pump which only starts drawing power when the alternator is charging. Thus, if the alternator drive belt breaks, the power steering (theoretically) will stop working, but, in my experience, will continue to work while there is sufficient charge in the battery.

Burnerman thanks for comment. The coolant level is normal. Awaiting someone to come and look, may not now be until Sunday. What a pain, but the belt is clear to see that it has come off but may be in tact.
Why do they put these things in such awkward areas.

Thank you all for replys

Excellent post, Mr.Astra :cool:
I would guess that this engine has a timing chain, rather than a belt therefore the water pump is driven by the auxiliary belt....what do you think?
It's the lack of heating that spooks me - unless there's just not enough juice to spin the fan fast, of course.

I am sure this model has a timing chain. A mechanic has just been out to view, he is unable to confirm as it needs to go into a garage and on a ramp to access. He feels that the belt has snapped and perhaps one of the pullies has broken or sheared, but again until on a ramp said it cannot be confirmed.

Now have to try and drive it to a garage.

I hate cars. Beginning to sound expensive. May have to have a think is it worth it.

Garage said to bring it down on a recovery vehicle as it could risk blowing the engine if driven as no water circulating. It about a mile away how risky ?. I do not have home recovery and the mrs drove it back at least three miles from where the problem occurred, if the head gasket had blown already would we know it ?

Most garages have their own recovery vehicle, and I would advise that the car isn't driven.....if the head gasket is at risk due to coolant problems, that will prove expensive!

Sponsored Links
Back