Zafira gsi 2002 no hot air and coolent warning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone help? My zafira gsi only blowing cold/warm air into car. Also when ticking over and temp gets to 92 fan kicks in but warning light comes on dash ( radiator with fan ). I replaced the coolent sensor, water levels correct, not losing water, both pipes hot going into bulk head hot. Any Ideas please?

Sponsored Links
I suspect the engine has an air lock somewhere.....would it be possible to slacken the coolant sensor, with the engine hot and running, to see of any air is present?
Be very careful to avoid any spray of hot coolant!
The top of the main radiator and both hoses need to be very hot too.
John :)

Last edited:
Hi getting to the coolent sensor means removing battery so cant have engine running to try that, is there something else I can remove?
Thanks

I've edited my post, which includes the main radiator comment. In the past, I've slackened off the top rad hose and bled from there.

Sponsored Links
The bottom hose is actually hot now don't think the engine was warm enough before, the heaters still blowing warm not hot, the temp gauge says 90, both pipes through bulk head hot one hotter than the other? Top pipe into header tank flowing and hot, other pipe cold not flowing

Could be thermostat broken does it take a while to warm up.

The radiator remains cold - including the bottom hose - until the thermostat opens. Then there is a surge of heat coming through the bottom hose and then the radiator gets very hot from bottom to top.
As the temperature gauge is reading 90, that is correct. If the gauge is very sensitive you'll maybe see the needle heading towards the 100, descending again once the thermostat opens.
A loss of coolant when you take the rad cap off is normal, however do check to see if there are any bubbles present as you start from cold and the engine warms up.
Is there any sign of oil in the expansion vessel at all?
At the end of the day it may just be that the electric heater temperature knob is faulty, but I'm not too happy about that dash lamp being on.

Do the water pump impellors fall off the shaft on these engines?

Not as far as I know, but that doesn't mean much!
The engine seems to maintain 90 deg though which would indicate that the pump is ok - and coolant seems to be returning to the expansion bottle.

Sponsored Links
Back