Why You Don't Work Live

The Compact Oxford English Dictionary defines it thus:

electrocute

verb injure or kill by electric shock.

From here

At work, I've got access to the full OED Online, so I'll see what that says tomorrow.
I'm betting it's not as clear cut as some posters would like to believe.

Sponsored Links
it seems to have the meaning of "get an electric shock" in common contemporary use.

But I understand that the term was originally created to mean Electrical" "Execution When the Electric Chair was introduced in the US it was claimed for many years that it was painless and instantaneous death and so was a humane method.

The Concise Oxford English Dictionary, 1977 edition says:

electrocute v.t. Kill by electricity (as capital punishment); cause death of (person etc.) by electricity in any way; hence electrocution n. [from ELECTRO- after execute]

it seems to have the meaning of "get an electric shock" in common contemporary use.

There's a problem with widespread misuse of a word resulting it becoming an accepted definition in dictionaries though.

A lot of people refer to socket outlets as plugs, a lot of people refer to an MCB as a fuse, a lot of people call 8P8C modular connectors for computer networks RJ45 plugs, and so on. I hope that any reputable dictionary if noting any of those common usages would note that they are incorrect terminology though.

Sponsored Links
A nice point, though presently it doesn't work like that.

Many years ago when I was a youth, plumbers would refer to a wash-hand basin as a "lavatory" basin. The bog was a water closet.

Plumbers have moved with the times...

:LOL:

So, here we are, straight from the Oxford English Dictionary Online:

electrocute, v.
orig. U.S.

1. trans. To put to death by means of a powerful electric current; to execute in the electric chair.

2. trans. To give an electric shock to; esp. (chiefly refl. or in pass.) to kill or injure by electric shock.

So, you can be electrocuted, but not be killed, just injured.

End of.

Many years ago when I was a youth, plumbers would refer to a wash-hand basin as a "lavatory" basin.

Look in any American plumbing supply catalog and you'll find that they are still called lavatory basins. Latin: lavare, to wash (hence French laver etc.).

So, here we are, straight from the Oxford English Dictionary Online:

I wonder when the OED made that change then. :confused:

I notice this entry for "plug" too:

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/plug

At least they've marked it "informal," but not that it's incorrect.

The OED is "definitive" (it is the huge, multi-volume one like a set of encyclopedias) but the Concise and the Compact are not the same

What's the difference between a Buffalo and a Bison?

You can't wash your hands in a buffalo...
:D
Sorry :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back