Flueless gas fires

We have certainly changed policy on the contracts where i work. Where a Back Boiler Unit is replaced by a combi or system boiler tenants used to be offered a gas fire to replace the BBU. We now offer a mock woodburning electric stove instead. Part cost driven decision for sure, but mainly safety driven. Most just want something that glows a bit :LOL:

Alfredo

Sponsored Links
ON any estate built with the flue block system I can guarantee to achieve ID on any fire. I would expect to find spillage which is greater than just the odd whiff, leaks between the joints, flexible liner in the loft, and inadequate support of the liner.

The spillage is usually so great that you can point out the soot above the fire opening to the householder.

I would never be able to sell fires for a living. Though I do service them and fit them if the customer bought them, but then I have no vested interest in the fire performing and always err on the side of safety.

But if someone with flue blocks asked me to fit a fire I would say save your money, 90% chance I won't pass it. They probably get someone else.

Maybe it's just the builders round here that cocked up all the flue block houses.

Paul, you are dead right about flue blocks. I just don't think the building trade ever spoke to the gas trade when they were designed/specd/installed.

We took on a new contract with a housing association and I did one of the first services on a 15-20 year old property with a Potterton Prima and a gas fire in a flue block recess with a ridge vent.

You've guessed it, it failed spillage miserably no matter how hot I got it, and I inspected the false roof as well to make sure all was well. So I condemned it.....and the next thing I knew..the property manager was questioning my competence "its been passed alright for the last x years.." yes, i said..but by whom? Its them you need to be questioning not me.

To my despair, they specified a new gas fire. I'm not sure we installed it, but I did service the property again this year, and it did pass, but I still don't like the installation. Thats not my call.

Alfredo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back