pushfit valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I have used flexi pushfit with isolating valves for a wash basin and unfortunately the end that connects up to the supply pipe is leaking.
B&Q say they can not be removed. The only thing is that they cost 8 pounds each and i wouldn't like to cut the pipe. Any suggestions as how to recover it?
The pipe was cut square with a pipe cutter and cleaned. Would you smear a bit of washing up liquid round the pipe next time and then push it firmly into the fitting with a twist to make sure it fits properly? Thank u 4 your advise.

Sponsored Links
dotto said:
Gasguru, would u not use pushfit? Are they not very reliable?

Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Many manufacturers have had design faults with their systems over the years and reliability continues to be an issue (often due to poor quality control). Copper soldered or compression everytime for me.

One day insurance companies will wake up and heavily load up the premiums on homes with pushfit. That will hopefully create the demise of this carp, can't come soon enough. :)

Sponsored Links
dotto said:
Gasguru, would u not use pushfit? Are they not very reliable?

Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Many manufacturers have had design faults with their systems over the years and reliability continues to be an issue (often due to poor quality control). Copper soldered or compression everytime for me.

One day insurance companies will wake up and heavily load up the premiums on homes with pushfit. That will hopefully create the demise of this carp, can't come soon enough. :)
cheers :D

Copper soldered or compression everytime for me.

Pushfit is primarily for the DIY market! Particularly those without soldering skills!

True professionals like pipe and fittings with the greatest reliability! Thats copper and solder or compression.

Tony

Hi Dotto,

As the others have said you'd be better of with soldered or compression, however, if you're worried about the expense or as unsure with using compression, B&Q are mistaken and push fit can be dismantled and reused. Certainly the top three brands. If you want to upload a photo of the fitting, we'll talk you through taking it apart and checking it. Did you use a little silver insert into the pipe to prevent the plastic pipe collapsing?

Rich.

If it's leaking there's a good chance that it hasn't been pushed home fully. Dotto, have to tried pushing it further onto the pipe?

If it's leaking there's a good chance that it hasn't been pushed home fully. Dotto, have to tried pushing it further onto the pipe?
Sadly, i have Chris but no luck. I used pushfit to save time, instead :(
Well as most of you have suggested i'll go the traditional route next time. Sometimes it is just intriguing to use new products to see what they are like and also because things do evolve like everything else. Well tough :cry:
Thank u all very much 4 your inputs

Hi Dotto,

Did you use a little silver insert into the pipe to prevent the plastic pipe collapsing?

Rich.

He said he cut it with a pipe cutter and the ends were square. I would therefore asume it was copper pipe rather than plastic.

I can only assume the pipe surface was scored. I always make a pen mark to show the correct insertion depth. My wife also thinks thats a good idea too.

Tony

Agile said:
Pushfit is primarily for the DIY market! Particularly those without soldering skills!
Is this claim based on any facts, or just the opinion of someone who doesn't like, and doesn't know how to use, pushfit fittings?

True professionals like pipe and fittings with the greatest reliability! Thats copper and solder or compression.
No it isn't. The most reliable fitting is the one that is best for the circumstances.

And true professionals spell the word "that's" with an apostrophe.

No it isn't. The most reliable fitting is the one that is best for the circumstances.

How can plastic pipe ever be best when it gets eaten by rats?

Can you guarantee that there will never be a rat in the kitchen? ( UB40 )

Perhaps in Hertfordshire there are less rats but in London there are said to be more rats than people. I even saw a rare black rat in our workshop!

Tomorrow I am going to see a boiler which has had rats inside eating the wires!

Tony

Agile said:
How can plastic pipe ever be best when it gets eaten by rats?
I doubt that rats are the main reason that you don't use plastic pipe - this is just an ineffective attempt to distract from the point in hand.

Is your personal dislike of it enough of a reason to falsely dissuade people who know how to install it from using it when it's the most suitable product?

Can you guarantee that there will never be a rat in the kitchen?
No. But I can guarantee that a kitchen won't be installed inside a pipe duct laid within a concrete floor.

in London there are said to be more rats than people.
So is your recommendation for different pipe materials subject to the geographical location in which it's used? If so, why didn't you say so? And if not, why even mention the location?

Tomorrow I am going to see a boiler which has had rats inside eating the wires!
Are the rats eating the copper wires? If so, what's to stop them eating copper pipe aswell?

Rural economy experts are warning of an "explosion" in the rat population, which could have a serious effect on the countryside.

The Country Land & Business Association (CLA) said that landowners around Yorkshire are reporting increased sightings of the rodents.

This year's torrential flooding forced an unprecedented number of rats above ground and a succession of mild winters has extended the rats' breeding cycle, according to the CLA.

Dorothy Fairburn, CLA regional director for Yorkshire, said: "We are all aware of the health risks associated with rats but in farming terms, not only do they cause damage to buildings and food stores but they also affect the wildlife population.

In July, pest control firm Rentokil Initial experienced its busiest month for a decade after the extreme wet weather forced rats above ground.

Ryedale District Council said it too had seen a rise in the number of calls relating to rat infestations.

A survey carried out by the National Pest Technician Association last year revealed that the brown rat population had increased nationally year on year by 39% since 1999.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back