Electrocuted by a screw.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Story in The Mirror the other day.

Guy killed himself (unintentionally) because a screw in the doorframe of the bathroom had pierced the shower cable. Not sure how, but when the metal hose of the shower touched the water, he got a fatal shock.

Case for RCD's on showers, all ye of little faith?

One in a million, I know, but nevertheless, if he had an rcd on his circuit, he may be here to tell the tale.

I say "may", as I've never tested an rcd to see if it would save my life......

Although in Malta they are called "salva-vita".

Sponsored Links
hmm

if the nail caused a live-earth short it should have taken out the mcb

and anything that wouldn't take out the mcb should not cause a dangerous voltage on the earth

It could have been the frame of the shower enclosure. If it was aluminium it could have been live but not earthed until the guy touched it while showering?

Sponsored Links
yes that would make sense

and is why *ANYTHING* that covers cableing should be earthed

not earthing something like foild backed plasterboard is plain dangerous imo

the problem with such things is if one screw/nail goes through a cable and the metal sheet isn't earthed you can end up with a huge earth plane (which may or may not be exposed but is still in easy reach of any future screws

plugwash said:
not earthing something like foild backed plasterboard is plain dangerous imo

the problem with such things is if one screw/nail goes through a cable and the metal sheet isn't earthed you can end up with a huge earth plane (which may or may not be exposed but is still in easy reach of any future screws

:eek: We're getting some of that put up next week.
How do you earth it? or should I say how would you attach an earth cable to it?

You don't.

I was being facetious.

I think plug was too.

If not, he's being over-zealous, to be polite.

maybe i am paranoid but i can see how easilly a large sheet of metal in the wall could become live

though i agree it would be hard to earth it discretely possiblly you could put one of the fixing screws though a crimp ring

if the nail caused a live-earth short it should have taken out the mcb

Perhaps the metal shower hose was fitted to a plastic fitting on the shower (quite common) it therefore wouldn't have been earthed. Althought the water within the system would cause a circuit to between this and the earth of the copper water supply, it wouldn't be a dead short, therefore the MCB wouldn't trip.

Perhaps plugwash is a member of this?
took a minute for the penny to drop. :LOL:

securespark said:
You don't.

I was being facetious.

I think plug was too.

If not, he's being over-zealous, to be polite.

Thank goodness for that!!
I was getting worried there! I'd never heard of it...
oh well, guess I'll believe anything :oops:

Screw could have shorted L to E, and the could also have been an open circuit earth before the short, so the shower sat ready to 'bite' until he turned the water on, and then, ZAP :evil: .

It is usally the case in fatalities with electrics, that there is two faults, not just one :confused:

Oh, Hi Plug :p

plugwash said:
maybe i am paranoid but i can see how easilly a large sheet of metal in the wall could become live

though i agree it would be hard to earth it discretely possiblly you could put one of the fixing screws though a crimp ring

It's not a large sheet of metal, it is foil. And it is concealed. Don't the regs talk about earthing exposed metalwork?

If you're still unsure talk to IEE or NIC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back