Dealing with TT under the 17th.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone given any thought to how to fit a CU to comply with the 17th to a TT-fed installn?

Sponsored Links
Same as any other 17th CU install - High integrity board with rcbo's for and circuits on the isolator side!!

The best soloution for any supply type is a board full of RCBOs ;)

Sponsored Links
Thats the price. Take it or leave it. ;)

I don't do domestic, so can't really comment, but I don't think you will be seeing many dual split RCD boards in commercial / industrial installs

I did a quote for a 17th board (8 way with 100A incomer, plus 8 RCBO's (6 utilised) and MEB's.

Let's just say I think the customer was a tad surprised....

Think about it people.

For most TT installs a dual 30Ma RCD CU will comply.

If you have a special circuit (like a fire alarm on a standard MCB with cable less than 50mm) then you may need to have a 100ma type S RCD incomer: but generally the dual 30RCD will do it for you.

If it is a normal cable concealled less than <50mm then a 30mA will need to be installed.
Another point where the regs are a bit of a mess, type S RCDs (BSEN) need to disconnect within 300ms, a majority of circuits in a TT installation need to disconnect within 200ms.

That was what I was bothered about. But I suppose you can just use 30mA RCBO's and hang the expense!

Or convert to PME... ;)

I'm glad they have admitted the 2x test was a printing error though :LOL:
My preferred method for today is the old split load with RCBOs on the non RCD side.
It is just me that doesn't like the idea of having lighting on the same RCD as sockets?

PME in WPD area is £18.

NIC Connections mag states TT with a seventeeth board is fine - 100mA time delay not required.

However, having an RCBO on a single circuit o a TT......I am unsure and need to read and investigate, but I think it may have to be a double pole RCBO and not a single pole type. I always recall that on a TT, the neutral must also be isolated by the device.

Ponders........

I'm glad they have admitted the 2x test was a printing error though :LOL:

It wasn't. (I'm assuming you mean the amendment to Note 2 on page 46?)

In fact it was a perfectly valid statement, not referring to any test at all but based on expected minimum values of earth fault current, given maximum acceptable electrode resistance, Ze and a 500mA max RCD.

Lectrician I have the same feeling as you that on TT the neutral must also be isolated, just can't think where I came across this, fairly recent thou.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back