Socket under Kitchen Sink?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondering if this is good practice or not...

We've just moved into a brand new home by Fairview Homes, and we have a special 'socket' under our sink that has no switch, but a small hole in the middle for a wire to enter. It's installed as a spare and has a switch above the kitchen worktop.

My next door neighbour's new house on the other hand doesn't have a special socket, he just has a normal socket, albeit switchless with the switch above the kitchen worktop.

Just a bit surprised that they installed a three pin socket under his kitchen which I thought wasn't allowed? Does it make a difference that it's switchless?

Simon.

Sponsored Links
Multiplex.

I think what you have in your house is designed for connecting a waste disposal. The plate with the hole is for connecting it up and the switch above is probably a double pole 20A type to control it.

Your neighbour's should be the same. Are you sure he hasn't changed it.

In a new build I would have expected these things to be labelled.

Hope this helps.

Hugh

Ahh ok. So there's no problem fitting a 3-pin socket under the kitchen sink.

Thanks for the info.

Simon.

i don't think there are any regs forbidding it

it wouldn't be my prefered place to have a socket though

Sponsored Links
we have two sockets under the sink here by a mass of pipework. Its acceptable in the eyes of the regs, just isn't the best way of doing this things. somthings you have to live with!

Unbelievably the regs also allow you to have a socket within 300mm (one foot) from the kitchen sink!

Just close enough for you to fill the kettle without unplugging it.

Just close enough to get well splashed when washing up.

Just close enough for the plugged in kettle to fall in a sink full of water.

Well according to the latest CITB study notes for the IEE 16th Edition Regs this is allowed. See a scan of the page....... See paragraph 2

sink.jpg

Plug is right. there's no reg preventing it, but at the end of the day you have to consider external influences. CITB isn't the regs, only their interpretation.

I cetainly wouldn't want a socket under the sink. What could you use it for?

Either fit a waste disposal or blank it off and forget about it. There must be other sockets in the kitchen you could use for whatever.

That's my 10 pence worth anyway

Read your scan again.....It says a generall guide.

There are NO regs dictating socket possitions in kitckens. Only the good old 'external influence' That covers the proximity to sinks etc.

Socket under sink? No problem, so long as the sink/drainer is adequately sealed. Socket 300mm from edge of sink/drainer is, I believe, a NICEIC recommendation; as has been mentioned, there are no specific regulations. In small kitchens (and many are tiny) you have to have a a balance between practicality and safety... and guess which will win every time!

the guild also says anyt socket outlet should be 150mm away from a cooker hob. as from under a sink i would say if you have to have a socket under a sink for a dishwasher are whatever i would keep it away from the waste pipe, bends and anything else on them lines

john_uk said:
the guild also says anyt socket outlet should be 150mm away from a cooker hob. as from under a sink i would say if you have to have a socket under a sink for a dishwasher are whatever i would keep it away from the waste pipe, bends and anything else on them lines

i would say do it properly: put the socket behind the appliance and the switch above the worktop.

its not so hard is it?

plugwash said:
john_uk said:

i would say do it properly: put the socket behind the appliance and the switch above the worktop.

its not so hard is it?

It is when the customer has paid thousands on a new kitchen with granite tops and splashbacks, and only wants the sockets on show, not a multiude of switches :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back