Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently purchased the following 4-way switch box:

http://www.kockneykoi.co.uk/productpages/switchbox.htm

Output 1 = 8Amps @ 1800 Watts
Outputs 2, 3 & 4 = 2.5Amps @ 500 Watts

The whole box needs to be supplied with an external 16-Amp fuse @3.3Kw.

I have various items to attach to this box, all of which use 3Amp fuses and use from 20 Watts to about 250 Watts.

Can I simply attach the box to a plug and plug into my wall socket - I think the room is supplied with 30 Amps - and then attach the appliances?

Can I put a 3Amp appliance into a 2.5 Amp?

Thx

Sponsored Links
Yamitsu said:
Can I simply attach the box to a plug and plug into my wall socket - I think the room is supplied with 30 Amps - and then attach the appliances?
Yup.

Personally I'd attach the appliances before plugging it in, but I am very safety conscious ;)

Can I put a 3Amp appliance into a 2.5 Amp?
No, but you don't have any - you said your largest was about 1.09A.

Where is this box going, where is it plugging in, and what's it feeding?

Thanks for the reply ban-all-sheds!

And I'll take your advice on attaching before plugging in!!! :LOL:

As to the 3amps into 2.5amp outlets:

Question: Will this affect the appliances in anyway?

The switch box will be going outside - I can either plug into an outside socket, or most probably, plug into an indoor socket and feed it outside.

It will be feeding a 2 pond pumps, UV lights & pond lights.

Question: When plugging into the wall socket, does the plug I use need to have a fuse or are the fuses which are already inside the switch box all I need?

Thx!

if you "plug it in" the plug will have a fuse already, the thing i would ask is assuming you do run it to outside:

where will the cable go

what type of cable will you use?

is the socket you intend to plug into rcd protected?

how long will this cable be?

Sponsored Links
Breezer,

Running it to outside:

The cable will be plugged indoors; run outside to the switch box; this will only be a short cable (40cm); I intend on getting this cable from my pond pump as I will not need the plug end of it if I am attaching the pond pump to one of the switch box outlets; as to rcd protected - I have a circuit breaker which I can plug into - will this be adequate?

Still need an answer to the following, please:

As to the 3amps into 2.5amp outlets:

Question: Will this affect the appliances in anyway?

Hope this is all clear?!!!

Thx

+++++++++++++++++

the actual mains power supply cable will need to be 3 x 2.5mm sq minimum.

Question added to the ones above: How do you measure the size of the cable?

Thx

please note 10a which is here

Yamitsu said:
How do you measure the size of the cable?

Thx

Using appropriate measuring equipment, such as a vernier guage, micrometer and a calculator. Alternatively you could ask the supplier for a certain size and they will give it to you, already measured.

Thanks pdcelec!

The pond pump wire is inadequate to be used as the mains supply :(

Also, the appliances I will be connecting to the outlets are mostly 0.75mm sq. However, the outlets require 1mm sq!!! Can I still use these appliances or how can I solve this problem?

Thx

If an item is fitted with 0.75mm flex you will find the manufacturer has detemined that this is sufficient for the appliance.

I think he means the stuffing glands arn't suitable for flexes below 0.75mm²

That's exactly what I mean Adam_151...............how should I proceed?

Thx :?:

I can't really think of anything except to take thicker flexes from them into similar sized stuffing glands on an adapatble suitably ip rated box, then fit smaller stuffing glands on the other side, take your appliance flexes out through them and join in the adpatable box

other than that, I really don't know :(

couple of possibilities
1: remove the stuffing glands from the box and replace with smaller ones
2: cover the cable in layers of heatshrink until its think enough to be properly gripped by the gland.

That box looks like it is specially made for pond equipment, which is commonly supplied with .75mm² flex. Try contacting the supplier, see if they do .75mm² glands.

But do try your flexes in it first, just to see if they will fit tightly when you tighten it!

I wasn't thinking of there being a fitting problem, but i'll check if they do fit or not.............

I was actually thinking that the appliance may not work properly if the outlet is for 1mm sq and I put in a 0.75 mm sq?? Am I wrong?

Thx

Yamitsu said:
I wasn't thinking of there being a fitting problem, but i'll check if they do fit or not.............

I was actually thinking that the appliance may not work properly if the outlet is for 1mm sq and I put in a 0.75 mm sq?? Am I wrong?

Thx

The problem you may have is that the stuffing gland might not close up enough to grip the cable and form a seal around it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back