Downlighters in UPVC Eaves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to be fitting down lighters in a persons eaves ( spelling doesnt look right :oops: )

Is there any specific rated downlighter thats required, Just dont want the UPVC to get damaged/burned when the lights are on.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Heat is going to be an issue with any sort of halogen downlighter.

You could fit GU10 DLs with either
LED 'lamps'
ledgu10.jpg

Or Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFLs) with a GU10 base
(Can't find a picture)

Also if they are outside I would recommend you fit IP rated fittings to prevent corrosion.

Check the fittings are "F" marked - suitable for mounting in flammable materials. This usually means a wattage of 35 or less to limit max temps. Ask the manufacturer!

Sponsored Links
out of interest, i saw some CFL downlighters yesterday, they looked very good, they have much better light distribution than standard GU10s (they had a mix of normal bulbs and CFLs, the difference was clear! Just need the price to come down!

im not too sure on this subject myself. I mean you fit ip rated lights but about 100mm above the light there is still usually a big gap to the outside betweent he fascia (sp) board and the tiles. I know it is unlikely for water to get through, but very damp air would be easy to get to the light fitting. the same really as if a standard DL light was fitted, the water would not really get to it unless it blew under the soffit and then up! but its quite likely to get damp air near it. PS i am planning on fitting some but don;t really see the need for ip65 ones. :oops:

Thanks, appreciated

Didnt think i "shunned" anyone??
Jobs done now as this post was initially made over 2 years ago :p

*****, maybe but was a homer so doenst bother me if its ***** or not, beer money :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back