Where has he gone?

Never had the pleasure myself, but after a glance back to page 17, I think some extremely ordered minds see things very much in black and white, and really can't handle differences, but their expertise on their obsession topic can be excellent.
Everyone's different...

Sponsored Links
Never had the pleasure myself, but after a glance back to page 17, I think some extremely ordered minds see things very much in black and white, and really can't handle differences, but their expertise on their obsession topic can be excellent. Everyone's different...
They are! As witness the reasons why he felt it necessary to withdraw from the forum (after countless years and 40,000+ posts), he is a man of extremely strong principles, which must be admired. However, it could be said (and has been said!) that some of his principles are very idealistic (maybe even 'utopian') rather than 'realistic' and/or 'pragmatic' - although, again, some would praise him for that.

His strong principles certainly do not only apply to electrical DIY. He is equally 'principled' (and passionate) about such matters as animal welfare, the immorality of solar energy feed-in tariffs (which he believes results in deaths of the elderly due to high fuel costs) and the immorality of such platforms as eBay and Amazon being party to the sale of potentially dangerous products - to name but a few.

I don't think anyone ever denied that, despite him not being an electrician, his knowledge of all matters electrical, including 'the regulations', is very extensive and impressive, such that he had the ability to be a very valuable contributor to the forum. However, if you look at his posts over the many years he was contributing, I think you'll find that the proportion of his posts that were "electrical" in nature progressively decreased, whilst the proportion of some of his 'less welcome' contributions increased - leading some to question whether, on balance, he was still a positive asset to the forum. My greatest concern in recent times is that I feel sure that his 'behaviour' will have deterred some DIYers from asking questions about electrical DIY, or to 'frighten them off' if they did (not to mention lying about 'holidaying electricians!).

Whatever one may think of him, one sad aspect is that, even today, it would probably only take an apology from one person (who continues to post here, oblivious to {or not concerned about} 'what he has done') for us to 'get him back'.

Kind Regards, John

he displayes typical aspergers and autism symptoms
being incredibly good at what he talks about but lacking interaction skills finding social skills and interaction with other not on the same wave length difficult
what seems picky is just his brain making sure the information is as accurate as possible
where as within the thread the correction is unimportant
http://delautism.org/about-autism/w...w-does-aspergers-syndrome-differ-from-autism/

Sponsored Links
he displayes typical aspergers and autism symptoms
being incredibly good at what he talks about but lacking interaction skills finding social skills and interaction with other not on the same wave length difficult
what seems picky is just his brain making sure the information is as accurate as possible
where as within the thread the correction is unimportant
http://delautism.org/about-autism/w...w-does-aspergers-syndrome-differ-from-autism/
Yeah that's basically what I was hinting at. Once you know that, everything becomes clear! A good read for anyone interested.

What does that mean then?

It is alright to discriminate against psychological problems but not physical ones?

It had got to the stage when some, even (apparently) new posters, were deliberately baiting him.

And just for the record I really am a new poster, and I never had any account on here before. I did read a few things from Google in the past but that's about it.

...he displayes typical aspergers and autism symptoms ... being incredibly good at what he talks about but lacking interaction skills finding social skills and interaction with other not on the same wave length difficult ... what seems picky is just his brain making sure the information is as accurate as possible ...
Most of that has been suggested, or hinted at, before, but I'm not at all convinced. Extensive interaction with him, both in the forum and privately, have brought me to the belief that every aspect of his behaviour is totally 'deliberate', and with full insight, fuelled only by the strength of his beliefs/principles, and his passion about them. He is more than intelligent enough to understand that, and probably has the ability to change it, should he so wish - but doesn't feel it appropriate that he should change.

He seems to fully understand how he is perceived, and why, but does not feel that there is any reason why he should change. All of that obviously manifests itself as very poor inter-personal and social skills but, again, he seems to recognise that, but to feel that his beliefs/principles are more important than 'such things'. These appear to be very well entrenched "leopard's spots", so I would imagine that he probably behaves similarly in his personal and working life, maybe to the frustration and/or irritation of those around him.

Kind Regards, John

Efli who was your last comment directed at?
Well, there were some posts where the writer was (apparently) asking their first question on the forum but immediately responded with vitriol to Bas' first comment or first few comments as if they 'knew' him (not in the biblical sense).

Most of that has been suggested, or hinted at, before, but I'm not at all convinced. Extensive interaction with him, both in the forum and privately, have brought me to the belief that every aspect of his behaviour is totally 'deliberate', and with full insight, fuelled only by the strength of his beliefs/principles, and his passion about them. He is more than intelligent enough to understand that, and probably has the ability to change it, should he so wish - but doesn't feel it appropriate that he should change.

He seems to fully understand how he is perceived, and why, but does not feel that there is any reason why he should change. All of that obviously manifests itself as very poor inter-personal and social skills but, again, he seems to recognise that, but to feel that his beliefs/principles are more important than 'such things'. These appear to be very well entrenched "leopard's spots", so I would imagine that he probably behaves similarly in his personal and working life, maybe to the frustration and/or irritation of those around him.
Is that not the very definition of the condition?

What does that mean then? It is alright to discriminate against psychological problems but not physical ones?
I don't think there ever was really any 'discrimination', and I think that the comments to which you are presumably referring were offered more by way of 'explanation' than being critical or discriminatory. Indeed, if one believed (which I personally don't really) that his behaviour was the result of significant psychological pathology, I would have thought that would be a reason for not 'discriminating' against him (beacuse 'he couldn't help it') in the way one might against someone who one just regarded as 'bloody minded' or whatever!

Kind Regards, John

I don't think there ever was really any 'discrimination', and I think that the comments to which you are presumably referring were offered more by way of 'explanation' than being critical or discriminatory. Indeed, if one believed (which I personally don't really) that his behaviour was the result of significant psychological pathology, I would have thought that would be a reason for not 'discriminating' against him (beacuse 'he couldn't help it') in the way one might against someone who one just regarded as 'bloody minded' or whatever!
I don't really know how to put this but some, I have to say you as much as any, would, while knowing what he was/is like, argue relentlessly with him knowing full well that you would get nowhere.

As Reeves and Mortimer would say "They wouldn't let it lie" when that would have been the best course of action.

I never had a prolonged argument with him because, if he hadn't immediately apologised (which he did when he had made an actual mistake), then it was a safe bet that I might be wrong or, at least, we had an irreconcilable difference of opinion about which argument would be futile.

Then there were case where the poster was being deliberately obtuse and deserved a metaphorical slap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back