Where has he gone?

I certainly could appreciate the advice he gave, and respect it. But it is not his place to be strict with anyone ,especially newbies. It is not his place to take umbrage with those who refuse to take his advice, however good it was. That's what advice is, something to consider.
I totally agree - in fact, in terms of normal life, not only on-line forums. One gives advice which may or not be taken. If the advice is not taken and one considers the issue important enough, it is probably reasonable to try just once more to emphasise what one regards as the importance of the advice. ... but there is should stop. It is pointless, and quite possibly counter-productive, to 'go on and on about it' and not appropriate to become rude or aggressive towards those who have chosen not to take the advice.
But once someone feels they have the final word over what is allowed and not allowed to be asked on a forum, or what kind of question is worthy to be on a forum, it can get out of hand.
It can, and sometimes does!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
There's no question, there does seem to be a lack of tolerance at times toward those whose opinions are different. Some people ask apparently daft question because they're beginners seeking a solution, whilst more experienced contributors get abused just for giving a different opinion, even if it's a wrong one, but all of us were the beginner once, and it's an arrogant fool that stops learning.

I'm learning not to reply to those who are aggressive or sarcastic, because as the saying goes, if you argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level.

It's been interesting participating in this thread, as there hasn't been a single criticism, so I'll drop out of it now by saying well done to everyone.

I miss him, even though he called me racist for stating that British jobs should be for British workers.

Sponsored Links
It is pointless, and quite possibly counter-productive, to 'go on and on about it' and not appropriate to become rude or aggressive towards those who have chosen not to take the advice.
Quite, but that works both ways - a number of people seemed to feel it acceptable to go on and on about BAS' communication style.

Quite, but that works both ways - a number of people seemed to feel it acceptable to go on and on about BAS' communication style.
I don't think that's necessarily true. What is true is that a number of people repeatedly (on different occasions, in different threads) wrote about BAS's "communication style", but I don't think it often happened that they went "on and on" about it in the same discussion.

By analogy, I think many people would have been much happier had BAS (repeatedly) commented (just once or twice) about a particular OP's abilities/competence/whatever, or about some disagreement or difference of opinions, rather than filling up several pages of a thread!

Kind Regards, John

There is a distinct risk that we are going to start 'going on and on' about who has, or has not, been 'going on and on' - and, being pretty busy at the moment, I think I have more useful things to do with my time :)

Kind Regards, John

Congratulations John.

DS

Must admit DS your posts do lighten up the forum, never **** all to do with electrics but amusing :)

As a relative newbie I quite often felt afraid to give advice (even where I was quite sure of the answer) due to BAS's constant nit-picking and criticism.
Even though I can hardly describe myself as a 'newbie' in this forum, I quite often felt similarly, and certainly often modified what I wrote (not necessarily, IMO, to the OP's benefit) because I knew that he was looking over my shoulder.

More important, however, I feel sure that a good few people (who needed advice) failed to ask questions, or 'bailed out' as soon as he replied, because of what they had observed of some of his responses.

Kind Regards, John

... or 'bailed out' as soon as he replied, because of what they had observed of some of his responses.
Yes indeed. It's something of an own goal if someone is going to do something, and you get so bogged down in trying to stop them doing it at all, that they just ignore you and you lose the opportunity to at least help them do it "safely". But we've had this discussion before about where you draw the line - and I'm firmly on the side of pragmatism - if someone is going to do it anyway, then at least try and avoid them hurting themselves or others. I have sometimes wondered if BAS would rather see someone hurt themselves (or others) rather than depart from his perfect view of what should happen - and I wondered if he'd take pleasure from being able to say "told you so" if something "bad" did happen.

Simon, as you know, I am totally with you in all you say.
I have sometimes wondered if BAS would rather see someone hurt themselves (or others) rather than depart from his perfect view of what should happen - and I wondered if he'd take pleasure from being able to say "told you so" if something "bad" did happen.
I think it would be unfair to suggest that he would "take pleasure", but we often put that question to him, and he assured us that he would feel no responsibility and would 'loose no sleep' in that situation, because it was 'entirely their own fault'. I, and I assume also you, would not feel the same.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back