£300 million

I

imamartian

so why do we give India £300 million?
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8569174.stm)

Isn't India one of the emerging rich powers? They are iT experts, helplines all over, and Bollywood of course. So why are we funding them so heavily, when our own citizens are skint?

This is the sort of question the MP's should be answering...

Sponsored Links
I have no idea about the £300million mate (probably to grease a few palms in order to get business), but in my experience they are FAR from IT Experts. As for the words 'Help' and 'Line', something seems to have been lost in translation when they were set up!

The call centres in India, have nothing to do with Indians being IT experts, and everything to do with the few rupees per hour they pay the teams manning the phone lines. ;) ;) ;)

Personally, I think it's disgusting , that during the recession, foreign aid was ringfenced. So we keep giving away millions, if not billions per year to other countries, who then spend it, not so much on the welfare of their own people, but on nuclear research, space programmes and the like. In the vain hope that the UK might gain some business out of these countries.

The call centres in India, have nothing to do with Indians being IT experts, and everything to do with the few rupees per hour they pay the teams manning the phone lines. ;) ;) ;)

Personally, I think it's disgusting , that during the recession, foreign aid was ringfenced. So we keep giving away millions, if not billions per year to other countries, who then spend it, not so much on the welfare of their own people, but on nuclear research, space programmes and the like.
In the vain hope that the UK might gain some business out of these countries.

And thats what its all about, shameful really. Charity should begin at home.

Sponsored Links
I have no idea about the £300million mate (probably to grease a few palms in order to get business), but in my experience they are FAR from IT Experts. As for the words 'Help' and 'Line', something seems to have been lost in translation when they were set up!

Sorry Blas... but you are wrong... i'm a programmer (who wants to build brick things and make wooden gazebos etc for a living!!!) and i deal with India every day... they are very talented......but it's easy to blame them because comms aren't usually good!!

Plus they earn a fraction of my pittance !!

Not the first time Martian and I doubt it'll be the last mate. Nice to hear they're doing good things.

Thank you darrington.

Why cant they just ask the 2 Indian men who appear in the top 5 richest men in the world for a few quid....Great Britain does not even have anyone in the top 20 rich list!

Why cant they just ask the 2 Indian men who appear in the top 5 richest men in the world for a few quid....Great Britain does not even have anyone in the top 20 rich list!

so again, why don't our great (?) leaders answer these sort of questions???

I'd admit that certain Indians , do seem to have a natural ability and flair to be very good with IT and computers in general, but,,, I'm on VM and phoning their call centre in Calcutta, Delhi, Mumbai, wherever, is a PITA at times. Dunno if it's just me , but I always seem to get the one who's least fluent in English. The one who tells me. "You get very good signal in London , even though I'm in bloody Derby. One time I even had one asking me if I knew his brother who lived in Normanton. ;) ;) ;)

I'd admit that certain Indians , do seem to have a natural ability and flair to be very good with IT and computers in general, but,,, I'm on VM and phoning their call centre in Calcutta, Delhi, Mumbai, wherever, is a PITA at times. Dunno if it's just me , but I always seem to get the one who's least fluent in English. The one who tells me. "You get very good signal in London , even though I'm in bloody Derby. One time I even had one asking me if I knew his brother who lived in Normanton. ;) ;) ;)

thats the comms issue..... it;s a huge problem... but technically thet are as good or better than their western counterpart !!!

Being a call center operator is very different from being a computer programmer. The call center operators I suspect, don't have to have any degree or expertise in IT, they most likely have a list of questions and things to ask the caller to try.

As for the Indian programmers, the talent itself is not enough, in my opinion the percentage of naturally talented people is about the same all over the world. A good educational system is what help the natural talent to develop, That is what they have in India according to some statistical data. Another matter is is it is available to all but those who have access to it get a proper education.

Being a call center operator is very different from being a computer programmer. The call center operators I suspect, don't have to have any degree or expertise in IT, they most likely have a list of questions and things to ask the caller to try.

As for the Indian programmers, the talent itself is not enough, in my opinion the percentage of naturally talented people is about the same all over the world. A good educational system is what help the natural talent to develop, That is what they have in India according to some statistical data. Another matter is is it is available to all but those who have access to it get a proper education.

not sure what you're on about... i fell sleep half way through! :eek:

we have indians come to England to work... and they are bl00dy good!!
There may be a global "level".. but Chinese mothers rule.. and Indians know how to work hard..
Watch you back whitey !!! you're not as good as you think you are!!!

Sponsored Links
Back