1-way / 2-way vintage MK light switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The photo shows the inside of two vintage MK light switches. Is the one on the left (switch 1) a one-way switch and the one on the right (switch 2) a two-way?

If this is correct, does this mean if one of the brass points in switch 2 was removed and transplanted into switch 1 at the point where there is none, switch 1 would then become a 2-way switch?

switches.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes to the first question. No to the second as you also need the internal contacts.

In some case it is Yes to the second question.

It depends if the terminal and the switch contact are assembled into a single item. If they are and the moving contact has contact pads on both sides then what you propose could be possible.

The bigger question is :--- Why do you want to make the one way switch into a two way switch and the two way switch into a one way switch.

Sponsored Links
The bigger question is :--- Why do you want to make the one way switch into a two way switch and the two way switch into a one way switch.
I only want to make a 1-way switch into a 2-way switch. I have two 1-way switches, but not a 2-way switch which is what I require.

Local sparkies must be binning these by the dozen I would have thought... Would a case of beer not secure a couple from one of the lads on here? Easier than trying to make one up, I'd have thought.

Them old ivory ones came with a few different toggles over the years, a picture of the front may help.

What about the right-hand one in the photo you posted - do you not 'have' that one?

Kind Regards, John
Two way switch aint much good without a second one though :)

Two way switch aint much good without a second one though :)
Very true (albeit it's possible that he already has one, and is needing the second), but he appeared to be saying that he didn't have a 2-way switch, despite the photo. I therefore wondered whether it was perhaps a photo of someone else's 2-way switch and that he, himself, did not 'have' it.

Kind Regards, John

Whats confused me, is you seemed to say you want to take the lug out of that Two way, to make the other One way into a Two way, is that Two way in the pic no good for some reason

Whats confused me, is you seemed to say you want to take the lug out of that Two way, to make the other One way into a Two way, is that Two way in the pic no good for some reason
Indeed - or, as I just wrote, perhaps it's a photo of someone else's 2-way one which he doesn't actually 'have'!

Kind Regards, John

I have tried taking switches apart, but rarely do they go back together. Having worked in the Falklands, often a new part would take 6 months to arrive, was always to be on next boat, it rarely was.

I have done a lot of things normally you would not dream of doing, hand rewinding wiper motors for example. I was charged out at £25 an hour, so three hours to strip rewind and rebuild was not cost effective, but unless I did then digger could not be used in the rain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back