110 or 240 Volt

If 230 is so dangerous - why don't we get 110 out of the sockets like in the US of A?

Sponsored Links
You should come do some work for me, Paul. Not only will I hold the door open, but I'll help you lug stuff and make you tea too. ;)

Thanks to everyone for their replies, I've considered everything and I'm going for the 110v, and the 110v ext lead.

Many thanks.

may i respectfully suggest as you are a diyer you should stick to 230 domestic voltage

you are the first diyer to activly think about going for 110v thati know off on this or other forums :confused:

if 240v is not safe outside why do they sell lawnmowers and chainsaws

Sponsored Links
If 230 is so dangerous - why don't we get 110 out of the sockets like in the US of A?

If we had a balanced supply at 110v with ground held between the two poles we would be a lot safer.

Why aren't we safer? I don't know, they consider it too costly to change us over? But what they can do is make sure that people who are working with portable appliances in a building site (which a home becomes when we are working in it) is protect us with good legislation.

if 240v is not safe outside why do they sell lawnmowers and chainsaws

Because they don't care so much about people who make the decision to use 230v equipment for private purposes, They are trying to protect people who do it for a living. Likewise joe public can work off a ladder.

If we had a balanced supply at 110v with ground held between the two poles we would be a lot safer.

Why aren't we safer? I don't know, they consider it too costly to change us over? But what they can do is make sure that people who are working with portable appliances in a building site (which a home becomes when we are working in it) is protect us with good legislation.

So someone that is experienced in electrics is protected yet a rank amateur that knows nuffink isn't? And you call that good legislation?

you can work in a shop or factory with over 400 volts but not on a building site, is this something to do with builders not being the sharpest tools in the box :LOL:

more likely something to do with risk assessment on building sites: working all day every day outdoors, people dropping equipment and driving machinery over the cables, temporary power supplies with no RCDs, tools heavily used and abused, everything is portable, nothing fixed, no reliable earthing, etc

So someone that is experienced in electrics is protected yet a rank amateur that knows nuffink isn't? And you call that good legislation?

No I call it good that they protect the working man. I didn't comment on whether it is good or bad that they allow householders to enjoy a lower level of safety if they wish to.

you also assume that all tradesmen are competent electricians. another assumption I haven't given you.

230V tools are perfectly safe in the home and when working alone, imo. However when working on a site and around others, for their safety and yours, 110V should be used. Hence why tradesmen pretty much only own 110V equipment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back