Circular saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been having trouble with my circular saw. It is about 3 years old and hasn't had much use, it was about 35 quid (black and Decker) when it was new. The trouble I have with it is it will not cut straight lines even when I use a batten as a guide. I am guessing that it is just a ****e saw. With that in mind any susgestions for around 50-80 pounds to replace it? I want it for cutting large sheets for making wardrobes etc, mainly MDF ( the wood of the devil) I want it to be 240 volts. Think that is everything. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried a sharp blade, the old one may have rubbed up against a nail and lost its edge on one side. Have you bent the riving knife. The blade maynot be parallel to the side of the base but it would have done this since new.

Jason

what do you mean by straight lines are they wavy, if so does the blade feel solid on its bearings as you should be getting a straight line using a batten. if the line is curved are you sure you are not bending the batten as you go. as well as clamping the batten at both ends screw it in the middle as well so it doesnt bend.
If you are set on a new saw get a makita £99 can't go wrong.

Thanks for the replies guys, heres a little more info that may help. I have tried a new blade. I have fixed the batten in 3 or 4 places. What happens is the saw seem to pull against the batten so much it starts to burn the wood, so something isn't running true. I will check all the angles on it.

Sponsored Links
As mention above, the blade is not in line to the edge of your saw platform guide or you maybe pushing the saw toward the batten too hard and not letting the saw blade doing the cutting.

I very probably have the same B & D saw ; it has a 5 1/4 blade which is good for cutting floorboards in situ. The blade is not often parallel with the side of the baseplate. Use a depth guage/combination square off the side of the base to check it. Then to adjust you just BEND it! Mine owes me nothing, is light and gets into small spaces, but you're right, it is a **** saw!
A Bosch may be in your price range?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back