110v site trannys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand these provide 2 phases at 55v, but what is the third wire for? Is it earth or neutral or both? How is this connected in the tranny?

And does anyone take any notice of the 10 minute duty cycle of the transformer? :LOL:

(We hired a floor sander with a 110v transformer. apparently these are now discontinued and the majority of floor sanders are 240v)

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
(We hired a floor sander with a 110v transformer. apparently these are now discontinued and the majority of floor sanders are 240v)

Not a lot of good if the site only has 110v

Diyisfun said:
crafty1289 said:

Not a lot of good if the site only has 110v
but is there any need to sand floors on a building site? ;)

They are 240V single winding primary and two 55V secondary windings connected in series. The outside of the two series windings gives you 110V and the third wire is connected to the centre and is the earth for the output. Hence CTE or 'centre tapped earth' and you can now only receive a shock of 55V to earth on the output.
Also note the input and output earth are separated and the insulation between primary and secondary is very good.

Sponsored Links
IIRC there is also normally an earthed screen between the primary and secondary coil. I think almost all tools are available in 110v, just depends who you buy from. As crafty noticed there is a continuous and a tool rating on portable tool transformers, the transformer can only handle the tool current rating for a short period and then it requires an off period too cool down (not much use if you've got a lot of grinding to do). The continuous rating is suited to site lighting i.e. a continuous load.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back