12 hour light

Sponsored Links
What fittng is the safe to have light on continously for 12 hours
To be honest, although I may just have 'missed' them, I don't recall ever having seen a light fitting whose manufacturer says is not suitable for continuous operation (up to the maximum stated lamp/bulb size). There are many situations in which lights are left on continuously and, if a fitting were not suitable for such use, one would expect/hope that manufacturer would say so.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Some fittings get quite hot even when the lamp wattage is at or less than the rated maximum wattage. Bulk head fittings with no ventilation seem to be the worse for this.

If the fitting can be touched then I would use a fitting whose rated wattage was twice the wattage neccesary to light the area. That way the fitting will ( should ) not get too hot.

Some fittings get quite hot even when the lamp wattage is at or less than the rated maximum wattage.
Indeed, but that's a general truth - and, if they are going to get hot, that usually happens pretty quickly, after which equilibrium is achieved and no further rise in temperature occurs. The 12 hours of operation the OP refers to is not significantly more than 'normal usage' - many lights in houses will be on for 8 hours or more during the winter, so if one would be happy with a particular light fitting for that sort of 'general usage', it ought to be equally OK for 12 hours.

Having said that, the cooler a fitting remains, the longer it is likely to last - so it always makes sense to do as you suggest and use 'over-rated' fittings (or 'under-rated' lamps/bulbs).

Kind Regards, John

The other thing to consider is which way the lamp should be fitted to reduce the effects of heat on lamp and lamp holder life span. When using incandescent lamps it is prefereable that the lamp holder is below the lamp to reduce the amount of heat from the filament that reaches the holder. With "energy saving lamps " where there is an electronic heat generating module in the cap of the lamp the use of a ceramic holder is a good idea.

What fittng is the safe to have light on continously for 12 hours
To be honest, although I may just have 'missed' them, I don't recall ever having seen a light fitting whose manufacturer says is not suitable for continuous operation (up to the maximum stated lamp/bulb size). There are many situations in which lights are left on continuously and, if a fitting were not suitable for such use, one would expect/hope that manufacturer would say so.

Kind Regards, John
LOADS these days state not for continual use. I'm for ever swapping out cheap 2D fittings which have failed, and many have a sticker on the gear tray clearly stating not for continual use. Obviously missed by the installer.

LOADS these days state not for continual use. I'm for ever swapping out cheap 2D fittings which have failed, and many have a sticker on the gear tray clearly stating not for continual use. Obviously missed by the installer.
I was obviously right in saying that I might have missed them!

Do they specify what they mean by 'continuous' use? As I said, 8+ hours is by no means uncommon for a domestic light in the winter, and the OP's proposed 12 hours is not appreciably more than that.

Kind Regards, John

Any examples? So everyone can avoid buying them?

Any examples? So everyone can avoid buying them?
Indeed, I'd like to know the answerto that, too! I's also like to know the answer to my question as to what they mean by 'not suitable for continuous use', given that, as I've said, many a kitchen or living room light will be on continuously for 8 hours or more per day in winter (mine certainly are!)!

Kind Regards, John

There is a model branded by many manufacturers identically, 28watt HF, white/chrome trim. It clearly states not for continual use. I have come across plenty in my travels though, but these more so. Don't want to go listing loads of manufacturers or models, it ain't my job to, you should know what you're fitting!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back