12v DC bike not running

Hi guys, well the unit was working fully up until the other day when my mother and my wife took him out on it and the battery's starting to die, they then carried it home ( I told them not to push it so it didn't damage the motors- whether they did and aren't telling me due to the cost of the bike is another thing 😂)

My wife then put it on charge, it was left on charge for about 3 days (but would over charging cause an issue to battery's?) but when he then went to play on it , it wouldn't work..

Also whether or not the baby has tried to pull it out and ride it when the charger was plugged it and yanked the charger is another matter of debate and also a possibility..

I will test for voltage increase when on charge when I get home later.. It's also of note that coming off the battery is a little box which I presume is an overload or fuse? Connecting between the red line supply off the pcb and the battery itself.. (But I did bypass this to see if it worked with a direct supply and it made no difference)

Finally I'm also actually getting 13v off the battery not 12v (I considered it not important having 1v difference but art his stage Im just trying to give as much information as I possibly can

Sponsored Links
Hi guys, well the unit was working fully up until the other day when my mother and my wife took him out on it and the battery's starting to die, they then carried it home ( I told them not to push it so it didn't damage the motors- whether they did and aren't telling me due to the cost of the bike is another thing)
Fair enough. From what you've said, the motor runs OK with charger plugged in and yellow/black linked, so I doubt that anyone has damaged the motor.
My wife then put it on charge, it was left on charge for about 3 days (but would over charging cause an issue to battery's?) but when he then went to play on it , it wouldn't work..
OK. The charging system will hopefully will be designed so that the batteries will not be damaged by overcharging.
I will test for voltage increase when on charge when I get home later.. It's also of note that coming off the battery is a little box which I presume is an overload or fuse? Connecting between the red line supply off the pcb and the battery itself.. (But I did bypass this to see if it worked with a direct supply and it made no difference)
Yes, that's probably a fuse or similar - but you appear to have ruled that out as the problem.
Finally I'm also actually getting 13v off the battery not 12v (I considered it not important having 1v difference but art his stage Im just trying to give as much information as I possibly can
That's not anything to be concerned about.

Kind Regards, John

Hi guys, (not expecting a reply this side of the year but still! )

I tested the bike when I got home as you said and when I plug the charger in Im not getting any increase in voltage over the 13v no matter what combination of black yellow Etc I try!!

After giving up I went to move the bike back to where we store it and I never realised that I had the charger socket balanced on the battery itself, and low and behold the whole thing suddenly started working when the yellow wire touched the red wire of one of the batteries (see below)

As soon as I moved it or removed it, it all died again, and the U it only showed that it was getting 6v (there's a little battery indicator on the display I never knew was there when it's working) if I pressed the foot pedal the motor would not run but the charger wasn't plugged in so it was effectively running off the battery..

Does this prove that the socket is faulty? Even tho if I touch the red black and yellow wires together without the socket , it still doesn't load up.. Or am I bypassing the faulty component somewhere else??

Finally I also managed to get a picture of where those VCC GND etc wires go off to under the bike and on/off switch..

Hope some of this helps ...

Edit: weirdly I've now just gone back to the bike after a couple of minutes (was gonna show the wife what I discovered), and even when I touch the yellow on that leg of the battery again, it no longer works, but just now I was able to lift the socket off the battery and put it back on and it was working on an off

At this point I would be looking for a fault between the charger socket and the battery that has disconnected the battery.

Probably something inside that plastic module.

Sponsored Links
At this point I would be looking for a fault between the charger socket and the battery that has disconnected the battery. ... Probably something inside that plastic module.
Indeed - I suppose it's always been fairly likely that we would end up there ...
I fear that, sooner or later, we are probably going to be left, by default, with thinking that something must be wrong within that 'PCB' housing.
Happy New Year!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back