13 A 1-Gang to 2-Gang Moulded Converter Switched Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm still waiting for the purchase of my bungalow to go through, but when it does I want to replace some of the single sockets with double ones, all the internal walls are solid, so if I wanted 'Proper Double Sockets' I'd have to make the hole bigger etc, not too bad a job but probably takes a while, so I was wondering if these are OK:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006GAI2...UTF8&colid=MLRTT3P3KHTR&coliid=I2AF4YSZEAICKX

I feel confident in doing this, can I, or do I need an electrician?

Many Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
Sure you can do it.

Make sure you confirm the power is off before unscrewing anything (see WIKI for safe isolation procedures). Those converter sockets are generally OK but fitting can be a challenge if there are several cables in the box.

If it were my "new" house, I would want to do it properly by chasing in double back boxes.

Sponsored Links
Make sure you confirm the power is off before unscrewing anything (see WIKI for safe isolation procedures).
There ius a sticky entitled 'Electrics Safety' which contains a couple of brief posts about safe isolation procedures, but, unfortunately, all the WIKI currently has to offer is:
Wiki said:
This is where page 1 of the Basic Safety Information is going to go if/when drafting is completed. (page created as placeholder by JohnW2)
I did attempt, way back, to produce a number of drafts of this for discussion, but everyone seemed to eventually loose interest, so it never got finalised. Understandably, one of the sticking points related to whether it would be appropriate to mention the sort of 'less than ideal' (but definitely 'better than nothing') procedures which, in the real world, are most likely to be used by DIYers (not neon screwdrivers :) ).

Kind Regards, John

1) I'm afraid I've given up on the Wiki, such a pile of poo is the new software.

2) Proper testers can be bought for little money - there is no excuse for not having one.

1) I'm afraid I've given up on the Wiki, such a pile of poo is the new software.
I remain happy to fight with the forum software, but would only be prepared to do so if there were something approaching a consensus about content.
2) Proper testers can be bought for little money - there is no excuse for not having one.
I agree, but I don't think that was the main issue that left discussions up in the air.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks again Guys,
Regarding the DIY electrics rules, it would be nice to have something short in plain English, for example (imnot sure if this is ore t or not, so please don't quote), but something like

If you're confident in knowing what you're doing and it's indoors and not in the bathroom you can do it

Also, I hadn't seen one of those jigs for drilling the holes for back boxes looks like a good idea.

Steve

hi steve, i am a big fan of internet forums as they are great for sharing knowledge, although competence is not something that can be easily assessed on them.
You said in your first post you are confident in doing this job, so if i tell you what a professional would do, perhaps that may help you decide.

Isolate and confirm the circuit you are working on is dead, check the tester with a known voltage and re-check. If you are using a plug-in device, you can plug in to a socket that is still live (perhaps you have upstairs/downstairs layout)
Do the work necessary to fit your new chosen sockets.
Carry out an earth fault loop impedance test to ensure your socket will disconnect in the event of a fault.
Test the RCD (if your consumer unit has one) will disconnect in the required timed.

hope this helps.

I not sure how to carry out a earth loop impedance test, I have a multimeter can I. Do it with that?

Steve

No, and you can't check your RCD trip time either. About all you can do is to check the earth continuity from your socket-outlet to the main earth terminal.

Thanks, is that important? I guess I could do the work and then get an electrician to do the test, I've got a few sockets to do, so might be the best way, rather than paying an electrician to do all the work..
Steve

Is what important? The RCD trip time/current, fault loop impedance, and earth continuity are all important. Speak to your electrician first, as he might not be happy with testing someone else's work.

I'll do that.

So that's why people don't do DIY Electrics, they won't have the equipment to do the test.

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back