13 amp socket under a bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it OK to fit a 13 amp socket under a bath to power a water pump also fitted under fitted under a bath? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
As I already said NO!!!

It has to be a certain distance from bath (almost never encountered in domestic bathrooms) etc, so installing it under is OUT OF THE QUESTION.

Is the pump exactly 5 amps (1150W)?

spinergy said:
Is it OK to fit a 13 amp socket under a bath to power a water pump also fitted under fitted under a bath? Thanks.

Are you a Kamikaze supporter by any chance... :?:

Maybe he just hopes that the fire caused by the wiring of people such as himself will keep the water warm...

Sponsored Links
The problems with installing a shower pump under your bath are:

1) A shower pump is designed to push water, not pull water. Hence it should be fitted as near to your hot water cylinder as possible.
2) A shower pump is usually rated as IP44 or IPX4. Hence under the bath is really not suitable as it could get wet and kill you.
3) Installing anything electrical within 600mm of your bath is just totally wrong and possibly illegal.

You really just need to decide how much you want this pump, and how much work you are willing to do to get it!

AdamW said:
3) Installing anything electrical within 600mm of your bath is just totally wrong and possibly illegal.

This is not entirely true, I just felt so passionately against the plug socket idea! You can have electrical devices within 600mm of your bath (e.g. a whirlpool) but it has to correctly "Ingress Protection" rated. IP44 (the rating of every pump I have seen) is not sufficient.

One of the beautiful points of a separate shower pump hidden away in the airing cupboard is that it is a lot quieter than an integrated power shower, from the point of view of the person using it. Mine is almost inaudible from the shower. Stick it under the bath and it will be unbearable!

If finding a suitable space for a pump is a problem for you, perhaps you should consider an integrated power shower? It is not the ideal solution I know, but it might be more what you are looking for. You still can't plug it in under the bath though! :D

im not sure its the best of ideas but, if you need a tool to remove the bath panel, I.e its screwed in place, then under the bath is considdered out of zones...so my understanding is that if you went on that it would be fine...i wouldent do it though...what if you had a leek down the side of the bath like so many people do :eek:

would be better with an FCU outside the bathroom and a waterproof connection under the bath

supersparks said:
im not sure its the best of ideas but, if you need a tool to remove the bath panel, I.e its screwed in place, then under the bath is considdered out of zones...so my understanding is that if you went on that it would be fine...i wouldent do it though...what if you had a leek down the side of the bath like so many people do :eek:

would be better with an FCU outside the bathroom and a waterproof connection under the bath

Simon...sockets under baths is a total no-no.

:rolleyes:
oh well, thaught a socket was a bit iffy but putting a pump under there is fine unlike is said above...

(ps im not simon!! your offending him!)

Depends on the pump surely? A whirlpool pump is designed to work in this environment thus is adequately IP rated. A shower pump, isn't, so it isn't. :idea: Perhaps we need a better explanation of what the intention is, "pump" really isn't a specific term!

If you can't have a socket under a bath, then surely you can't put an IP X4 rated pump under there, can you?!

superspark....you might have a leak down the side off the bath, but i'm sure most of us use the b*g!

Nothin' like a good leek down the side of you bath, boyo. Daffodils neither.

Over by yer! Oggy oggy oggy. (Seems my trip up Snowden affected me more than I thought ;) )

Hey, no knockin' the Welsh, look you. (I was born in Aberystwyth...)

Jolly proud of it I am, too. My parents were on holiday there, and her waters broke on the beach at Borth, 3 months before time....

Supersparks - Not offended in the slightest but seeing as you nicked a monicker similar to mine ( :LOL: ), it's no wonder poor old Jim (!!) gets us muxed ip!

AdamW said:
Depends on the pump surely? A whirlpool pump is designed to work in this environment thus is adequately IP rated. A shower pump, isn't, so it isn't. :idea: Perhaps we need a better explanation of what the intention is, "pump" really isn't a specific term!

If you can't have a socket under a bath, then surely you can't put an IP X4 rated pump under there, can you?!

nope- under bath = out of zones (hence i wondered if a socket would be allowed, but its still considdered as being in the room- just out of zones so no)

but pumps are fine...dont matter what type.

"superspark....you might have a leak down the side off the bath, but i'm sure most of us use the b*g!"

i saw that comming as soon as i posted it ;)

trust me ive found much evedanve of people having a leak arround the bath, even comes through the ceiling downstairs if its a big leak :LOL:

spelling is a little rushed- im working like a rabbit in mateing season(all the time) to get novoserve up to scratch

lol secure, i have 3 ailiases which probrably dont help him much...no wait...4....cos FWL created a new one when he signed me up for AE3...lol....i will start gettin confused soon....no wait 5 if you count 'ss'

:rolleyes:

ss

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back