13a socket under bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just taken the sidepanel off my bath (looking for source of a water leak) and noticed there is wiring and rear of a 13A twin socket under the bath, quite close to the water leakage area. This 13A twin socket is for the adjacent bedroom. The bathroom was extended, wall moved, new bath fitted about 8 months ago just before we moved in.

Is this OK to have this electric fitting under the bath?

It doesnt look like a very sensible idea to me?

Especially with regard to the now 'leaking bath'?

(which I also noticed does not have 'service valves' for the water fittings)

Any expert advice appreciated, before I start shouting at the plumber and electrican who did the work on the property.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
No it is not ok to have a socket under the bath see Reg 601-08-01. If your bath panel can be removed without the use of a tool it is designated 'zone 1' and only extra low voltage switches(eg 12v) are allowed. If you used a screwdriver to remove the panel then It is designated outside the zones and accessories are allowed EXCEPT socket outlets. Not sure about the service valves for the plumbing but I would have thought this is standard practice for any decent plumber. Perhaps a plumber can quote some regulation with regard to this. get the sparky back to explain

Read the threads under this one.

LOOK DOWN TO THE FOOT OF THE PAGE....

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't that depend on the IP rating of the back of the socket? Could easily be only IP10....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back