14kw pool heater ....What trip switch to buy for fuse box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Ok so i moved house and brought the 14kw heater wire with me so i need i to wire it in the fuse box in the new house.

So i have the 14kw heater and all the SWA armoured core 10mm 3 core wire and fixed the commando box to the wall and tapped the wire in along the wall using clips/cleats to the fuse box, now just wondering what AMP trip switch to buy for the fuse box??

thanks

Sponsored Links
I think you really need an electrician to advise. A 14kW load is really too large to be run from your consumer unit. It would probably require a 63A MCB (trip switch), and that current could well be approaching the total available to your house - you may need to get permission from your supplier to have so large a load, and might need to have your supply upgraded (potentially very expensive). Installation of a new circuit does, of course, require notification to your local authority (which will cost you 'a few hundred pounds').

Kind Regards, John
Edit: typo corrected

Last edited:
Hi

it was run from the fuse box in the old house with no mods? So i would think it will be just fine in the new house as its the same fuse box? So you reckon 63A MCB and not 32A

KIND REGARDS

it was run from the fuse box in the old house with no mods? So i would think it will be just fine in the new house as its the same fuse box?
As I said, I think that you really need an electrician to advise, and also to discuss this with your supplier - but that is merely my opinion. Others may have something to say/add.
So you reckon 63A MCB and not 32A
A 14kW load will draw about 60A, so a 32A MCB would obviously be totally inadequate. Apart from my more general comments, you might have difficulties in finding a 63A MCB for your CU - a lot of makes only go up to 50A (or, I think, even 45A in some cases).

Would this new circuit be RCD protected?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
As John says you need an electrician to advise you how to connect this load. Very likely the consumer unit will not be able to carry the load. That is assuming the supply to the property is capable of legally supplying it.

The normal maximum supply to a domestic property is 15 kW

https://www.westernpower.co.uk/Connections/New-Connections/Apply.aspx
Should you require your connection to accommodate large loads, welders or motors, please provide us with full details.

Western Power may not be your DNO so use this site to identify the DNO ( District Network Operator ) for you area

www.energynetworks.org/info/faqs/who-is-my-network-operator.html

Out of interest what is make/model of the pool heater?

As already been said by other members, you require an electrician that has knowledge in this type of installation. If you do not take notice of what has been suggested and recommended to you, you are being very very foolish!

IMG_2477[1].JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2477[1].JPG
    IMG_2477[1].JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 313
Sorry my mistake its a 12kw and this was just wired in to the fuse box in the old house?

Sorry my mistake its a 12kw
Quite apart from my other, more general and more important, comments, that doesn't alter anything I said. It still requires over 50A, so that, in practice, a 63A MCB (or higher-rated MCB/fuse) would be needed.

Kind Regards, John

Out of interest what would happen if i used 50A MCB but needed 63A mcb would it just restrict the power to the heater??

Thanks

Out of interest what would happen if i used 50A MCB but needed 63A mcb would it just restrict the power to the heater??
No, it doesn't work that way round.
You would overheat the MCB.

You actually need a 52.2A MCB but they don't make one.

It would not restrict the power to the heater, but would probably not be sufficiently under-rated to actually 'trip'. However, it could get very hot, and theoretically might 'burst into flames' and/or adversely affect nearby MCBs.

However, in terms of the big picture, I think that the MCB rating is probably among 'the least of the problems'. I would personally say that if you find an electrician who is prepared to run that heater through a 63A MCB (if one is available) in your house CU, that you should consider finding a different electrician!

Kind Regards, John

I would personally say that if you find an electrician who is prepared to run that heater through a 63A MCB (if one is available) in your house CU, that you should consider finding a different electrician!
Why do you say that - "through a 63A MCB"?
If it is to be fitted, what other rating can be used?

As you said, the rating of the MCB is not the problem.

Now it's come down to 12kW, it's not that much bigger than a shower.
Granted, it will run longer than a shower but are there time restrictions on showers?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back