14kw pool heater ....What trip switch to buy for fuse box

Opinions may vary, but I was saying that I personally wouldn't be all that happy (i.e. would not deem the situation to be particularly 'acceptable {to me} and satisfactory) to have such a load supplied by a 'standard domestic CU' (and the OP seems to imply that it is the only one in the house), even if I lived in Chatsworth.
Are you saying that such a load should never be supplied via a CU (OP has called it a fuse box as well)?

If not, what is the maximum you would favour on a 100A CU.
If there were two, would you think differently?
Or a small CU just supplying the heater?

I suppose, in that respect, a small house with a 100A supply and very little else would have more spare capacity than a large house with the same supply.

I just got the impression everyone was poo-pooing the OP's question and thought it was a silly thing to ask or contemplate.

Sponsored Links
It should be 53 so I assume that's what it is.
It is ...
upload_2016-9-11_16-34-14.png

Kind Regards, John

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-11_16-32-58.png
    upload_2016-9-11_16-32-58.png
    85.6 KB · Views: 72
Beside the point that you could easily overload the incoming HRC fuse when you include other expected electrical house loads, it is also not a cost effective way of heating a pool up in my opinion.

aubrey4444, Have you considered other heat sources such as Gas Heaters and Heat Pump type systems?

Are you saying that such a load should never be supplied via a CU (OP has called it a fuse box as well)?
(yes, but it's a 'fuse box' which contains 'trip switches', not fuses). I merely stated my personal opinion/preference, and was not really expecting an interrogation. However ...
If not, what is the maximum you would favour on a 100A CU.
It obviously depends upon the nature of the load, and other factors, and is at least as much to do with the 'capacity' of the supply as the fact that it's being supplied via a CU. However, if the CU (and supply) is also supplying 'the usual things' (including shower, cooker, and sometimes WMs, DWs and Tumble dryers, kettles, toasters etc.) I would think at least twice before suggesting that the same CU (and supply) should be asked to supply a >50A load which could theoretically be 'on' continuously for 'hours'.
If there were two, would you think differently? Or a small CU just supplying the heater?
As you will be aware, the number of CUs is not particularly relevant. I mentioned that the OP appeared to have only one mainly to indicate that I felt it unlikely that he live in 'Chatsworth' (which I suspect has more than one CU/DB)
I just got the impression everyone was poo-pooing the OP's question and thought it was a silly thing to ask or contemplate.
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I would have expected that many/most electricians would not want to supply a load which could be drawing >50A 'for hours' from the house's CU. Hands up those who would not recommend a 60/80A switch fuse (followed by an RCD) (or maybe mini CU with a 63A RCBO) fed directly from the meter tails (I suppose with an isolator before the tails split, so as to provide a single means of isolation) - assuming that is, that they (and the DNO) were satisfied that the supply was 'up to it')??

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I do try to be polite to you Winston but it is difficult, however -

The design current using nominal voltage is 52.2A

A 10.5kW/240V shower at 230V is 9.66kW.
9.66 + 50% is 14.49.

The same applies to showers.

I wonder why they make 12kW pool heaters.

You can pick whatever holes you like. How many showers are 10.5 KW, most are less, some as low as 6Kw?

You can pick whatever holes you like. How many showers are 10.5 KW, most are less, some as low as 6Kw?
I don't know the number, obviously, but they aren't rare.

Yes, of course, I meant that a 12kW pool heater was not that much more than a 6kW shower, and
your 50% more only applies to 8kW ones so how was that relevant?

It's not my picking holes but your continual digging of them for yourself.

No, don't think so. It's sarcasm.
Ah, fair enough - so much for this medium of communication. I suppose emoticons can help a bit! Mind you, I'm not convinced that winston necessarily understands when people are being sarcastic, even when it's obvious (even to me!).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back