15YO boiler condemned as flue too long??? Please advise?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
After fixing my Glowworm Swiftflow 75E I decided to get some insurance including a service and safety check.
So I did some investigation on the Internet and went for a deal with my current provider’s policy.

During the service I briefly spoke to the engineer on the phone, who said the flue is too long and there's no terminal. I then had to go to a meeting so didn't speak again. The engineer explained nothing to my wife who was home at the time.
When I got home there was a big red danger sticker on the boiler and a gas installation warning notice. Also, the service check list has not been completed apart from additional information regarding the flue length.

The maximum flue length in the installation manual (which I left available for the engineer) is 2833mm; my measurement of the flue, being VERY generous on both the wall thicknesses is 2740mm. The boiler is in a cupboard next to the bathroom and extends straight through the bathroom and outside wall (no bends).

The boiler has been installed in the house for the 11 years I have been there, and probably another 4 judging from the model.
Is the Engineer correct? I accept there's no terminal guard, which is easy to remedy.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
No bends it is a straight side flue as below.

6977127459_4fc74fa6f0_z.jpg

6830999866_9051d99377_b.jpg

6831000022_c84c808b95_z.jpg

Cheers

On the face of it the engineer was wrong and ask the company to clarify. If you have no joy there then complain to Gas Safe.

Many thanks, I wanted some advice before contacting the company.

Also, on the service record the 30 point check list hasn't been filled out.
Could this indicate he didn't do a service.??

Cheers

Hi, I checked the flue terminal this morning and found that it had fallen behind the garden shed. I have now re-attached:

6833415986_db4384484b_b.jpg

6833416168_2a7e83e763_b.jpg

I'll also order and install a terminal guard and repair the rendering around the flue.

With the terminal problem sorted, should I go back to the company and ask for a second opinion about the flue length?
I quite sure it's within the installation manual guide lines.

Many thanks.

It fits snuggly around the inner exaust pipe.
I also added a very thin layer of silicone, but was going to do some research on the heat/steam tolerance.

I think originally it was held in place by concrete. The entire installation looks a bit cowboyish to me. It happend when the property was council owned.

Is what I've done dangerous?

Thanks

Silicon is not a suitable material to hold a flue outlet together.
nor is a flue terminal held together by concrete

In the time it took that Engineer to do all that paperwork (AR) he could have found the terminal, fixed it back with a couple of self tappers, measured the flue length to compare with MI's - if that terminal is less than 2 mtr from the ground it will need a wire guard this could be classified as NCS at worst, but then some companies see a boiler of that age and think pound notes!!£££££££££££££££££££££££££ :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back