16amp blue socket wired off a socket spur

Sponsored Links
It has been discussed and confirmed on these forums before.

I DON'T make up facts.

Something being discussed on an Internet forum is not evidence.

If you haven’t made it up, surely you can provide us with some evidence that your statement is true.

Sponsored Links
I seem to recall the Post Office (or maybe BT) downgraded 13a plugs to 8a on their premises
The Post Office (before BT) downgraded 13 amp sockets to 8 amps on their premises for a reason.
I said the Post Office not BT.

It has been discussed and confirmed on these forums before.
You seem to change your story over time.
Are you Now saying the alleged restriction only applied to Post Office and not BT, or before BT took over and recinded the restriction, when did the PO remove the restriction because you see despite the name changes a lot of PO & BT interaction happened right up to 1994 when I left and yes I also PAT'd PO's 3KW kettles and 3KW heaters and 3KW dehumidifiers.

I do know one of the radio contractors having such a restriction of 7A fuse in their green plugs, or white with green writing, and although they used them on BT, PO, BBC, Police, Ambulance, Councils premises amoungst many others it was nothing to do with BT & PO as such.

So where and when did this restriction take place?

Also did the restrictions apply to their plugs or their sockets? You can’t seem to make your mind up about this either.

@winston Do you have any evidence to support this claim or is it another one of your made up “facts”?

<edit> apologies @SUNRAY i didn’t see you had also asked for the same thing.
NO apology needed, especially from a highly respected member such as yourself.

I was quite clear that plugs were downgraded to 8 amps.
Bernardgreen confirms the plugs were downgraded to 2kW.

I have no idea if it was ever rescinded by the Post Office or BT.

Perhaps you could try asking Bernardgreen if he knows.

I really don't get it.

If I understand correctly, you're only saying this because the 15A/16A plugs/sockets don't have fuses, but I don't see what difference that makes, given that, even when plugs have fuses, there could be many of them connected to the same circuit simultaneously. Although BS1363 plugs each contain a fuse which cannot be more than 13A, on a typical 20A or 32A circuit one would have a dozen or two outlets into which a dozen or two such plugs, and their loads, could be plugged (representing a massive theoretical total load).

Would you say that to have multiple 13A (BS1363) outlets on a 20A radial was contrary to common sense, was bad practice and was outside of your experience?

Kind Regards, John
Of course it's not outside my experience.
You seem to be quoting the reason that it is OK to have many multiple 13A sockets on a higher powered circuit then completely forgetting that when referring to other styles of socket.

Of course it's not outside my experience. You seem to be quoting the reason that it is OK to have many multiple 13A sockets on a higher powered circuit then completely forgetting that when referring to other styles of socket.
I'm forgetting nothing but, as I have said, I don't see that the nature of the socket (or associated plug) has got anything to do with what over-current protection the circuit requires (which is what concerns BS7671). Even in terms of common sense (regardless of the regs), a 20A circuit can be overloaded via a few plugs with 13A fuses just as well as via an unfused plug/socket.

If you are talking about a situation in which the equipment supplied by an unfused plug/socket may, itself, require overcurrent protection at a lower current level than the circuit's protection necessarily provides, then that protection should be provided within the equipment - not the least because the manufacturer's of the equipment cannot know what will be protecting a circuit to which it may be connected.

Kind Regards, John

The Post Office (before BT) downgraded 13 amp sockets to 8 amps on their premises for a reason.
I can confirm BT had many hundreds, maybe thousands of 13A sockets restricted to 3A or 5A [it is just possible I may have some with their sticky lables] but this was for a completely different reason. The exchanges originally had 5A cast iron sockets mounted on the older equipment racks but newer installations had 13A sockets, in order to avoid incompatibility they went through a program of changing the 5A sockets to 13A but they left the original 3/0.029 wiring and 5A fuse. The earlier lables showed 5A restriction but it creased a problem with 2 or more 'high power' devices in use so the later lables showed 3A restriction. That was nothing to do with socket or plug current carrying capabilities, just the wiring and as we are so often quoted 'the fuse is only to protect the cable'.
You’re making this too easy for us :LOL:
(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back