16amp blue socket wired off a socket spur

Sponsored Links
westfield6 said:
Well that is rubbish isn't it? The fuse in an FCU or plug is to protect the cable not the appliance on the end of it which should be protected internally by the manufacturer.

And what happens if the end user is on the continent, in Australia, or one of the many countries where FCUs are not available and probably not compliant.

westfield6 said:
I'm afraid you are out of date. There is no longer a requirement to follow the manufacturers instructions in the latest regs.

Just as well when so manufacturers seem to have no idea.

It can only be........?

Well yes. Someone pointed out this persona to him about a year ago, but he denied that one too. He denies being any of them but also denies ever lying. It is a strange condition.

Sponsored Links
Well yes. Someone pointed out this persona to him about a year ago, but he denied that one too. He denies being any of them but also denies ever lying. It is a strange condition.
To quote what someone once said when she was alive and a 'young lady' ... "Well, he would, wouldn't he?" :)

Kind Regards, John

I can confirm BT had many hundreds, maybe thousands of 13A sockets restricted to 3A or 5A [it is just possible I may have some with their sticky lables] but this was for a completely different reason. The exchanges originally had 5A cast iron sockets mounted on the older equipment racks but newer installations had 13A sockets, in order to avoid incompatibility they went through a program of changing the 5A sockets to 13A but they left the original 3/0.029 wiring and 5A fuse. The earlier lables showed 5A restriction but it creased a problem with 2 or more 'high power' devices in use so the later lables showed 3A restriction. That was nothing to do with socket or plug current carrying capabilities, just the wiring and as we are so often quoted 'the fuse is only to protect the cable'.
(y)
Having a sort out I came across this:
upload_2021-2-24_19-29-27.png

Which I commented before had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with restricting use of sockets, this was entirely down to 3/0.029" wiring and 5A fuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back