16th Edition Regulations (2381) BS 7671 Practise Questions

Hi Guys,

Could someone please take a look at these questions from past exam papers & just confirm the answers, the answers that I have are not what I think they should be?

Again thanks for everyone who contributed to this thread, I take the exam Tuesday, so will let you know how I get on afterwards

Thanks again for all your help

Regards

Tsg9

1) Which type if installation is excluded from the scope of the IEE Wiring Regulations?
a) A temporary electrical installation on a construction site
b) Highway power supplies and street furniture
c) A permanent electrical installation in a caravan
d) Computer and data cabling systems

2) Where wiring systems are exposed to the weather; all metal sheaths, metal conduits and trunking must be of
a) durable and erosion resistant material
b) copperclad aluminium material
c) moisture repellent material
d) corrosion resistant material

3) Isolation at the source of an installation supplied with a three-phase, four-wire and forming part of a TN system may be provided by a:
a) three-pole and N contactor
b) single-pole manually operated switch
c) three-pole manually operated switch
d) semiconduction device

4) Which of the following devices would NOT satisfy the requirements for switching off for mechanical maintenance?
a) push button which breaks the control circuit of a contactor
b) manually operated switch which breaks the control circuit of a contactor
c) plug and socket outlet
d) manually operated switch which breaks all live conductors

5) A method of protection against electric shock for a 16A socket outlet supplying equipment used outdoors is?
a) Earth-free location
b) Class II equipment
c) Electrical seperation
d) Non-conducting location

6) The value of the external loop impedance (Ze) can be found either by enquiring from the local electricity board or by taking an earth loop impedance reading at?

a) the supply point and substracting the value of internal loop impedance ( R1 + R2 )
b) the furthest socket outlet from the supply
c) the origin supply
d) both the supply and at the furthest socket outlet, and subtracting one result from the other

7) Co-ordination between fuse ratings in an electrical system is termed

a) discrimination
b) isolation
c) diversity
d) overload

8) Before an electrical installation certificate is issued for alterations or additions to any installation, any defects or omissions must be

a) recorded
b) reported to the person ordering the work
c) made good
d) noted for any future testing of the installation

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply, still not too sure on a couple of them myself, any pointers to places in the regs or OSG that you found the answers to the questions....

Softus said:
davy_owen_88 said:
City & Guilds 2381 - Sample Paper 4
Q40:

Cable couplers should be arranged so that the plug of the coupler is connected to:

A a circuit protected by a fuse
B the load site of the circuit
C a circuit having a circuit protective conductor
D the supply side of the circuit.

:confused:

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Softus said:
davy_owen_88 said:
City & Guilds 2381 - Sample Paper 4
Q40:

Cable couplers should be arranged so that the plug of the coupler is connected to:

A a circuit protected by a fuse
B the load site of the circuit
C a circuit having a circuit protective conductor
D the supply side of the circuit.

:confused:
B etc.
...which was exactly my answer. However:

q40hv7.gif

...and:

q40dbp7.gif

in other words the people preparing the sample test ****ed up.

sample tests and unofficial tests are often not checked to anything like the standards real exams are and even with real exams errors do creep in.

like dingbat said every question has a clue,barring 1 or 2 stinkers. My friend who is a lecturer told me that if you can use an index,just look at the words in the question,think logically,and you automatically will go to the correct page and find the answer.
dont worry about it.

1) Which type if installation is excluded from the scope of the IEE Wiring Regulations?

2) Where wiring systems are exposed to the weather; all metal sheaths, metal conduits and trunking must be of

3) Before an electrical installation certificate is issued for alterations or additions to any installation, any defects or omissions must be

a) recorded
c) made good

I think the answers to the above questions are

1)c, I thought any permanent installation in a motor was excempt?
2)d Just a quess on my part as I can't find any info on the others?
3)a Some sample answers give c), but I thought that was for a Initial Electrical Certificate NOT for an addition or alteration

But I can't seem to find a definitive answer in the regs? Anyone care to enlighten me?

3) Before an electrical installation certificate is issued for alterations or additions to any installation, any defects or omissions must be

a) recorded
c) made good

I think the answers to the above questions are

1)c, I thought any permanent installation in a motor was excempt?
2)d Just a quess on my part as I can't find any info on the others?
3)a Some sample answers give c), but I thought that was for a Initial Electrical Certificate NOT for an addition or alteration

But I can't seem to find a definitive answer in the regs? Anyone care to enlighten me?

1) The fixed wiring in caravan is part of section 6. This specifically excludes the likes of the road signalling wiring attached to the caravan.
I'd expect the answer to be D.
2) I think I'd vote for D too.
3) C. What is an Initial Electrical Certificate? 3 main types of certificate are EIC (Electrical installation certificate, 1 & 3 signatory), MWC (Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate) and PIR (Periodic Inspection Report). Both the EIC and PIR should be accompanied by an schedule of inspections and schedule of test results.

Just one more tiny favour!!!! Could someone please confirm the answers to these questions...

Much appreciation to everyone!!!
TIA

Tsg9

3) C. What is an Initial Electrical Certificate? 3 main types of certificate are EIC (Electrical installation certificate, 1 & 3 signatory), MWC (Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate) and PIR (Periodic Inspection Report). Both the EIC and PIR should be accompanied by an schedule of inspections and schedule of test results.

742-01-04 deals with the Initial Inspection, where any faults have to be "made good"

743-01-02 deals with Alterations & Additions where it only mentions recording.

Are you saying that regardless of whether it's an alteration/addition or initial verification, all faults will need to be made good

It's there in black and white. For alterations and additions, the regs only say record, so record is the only thing you have to do to comply with the regs. Whether one agrees with this or not is irrelevant.

It might be good practice to correct as many faults as possible, but that will depend on cost, practicality etc. and is a different issue completely and is not required to comply with the regs.

So would you put an alteration or addition into service with faults on it?

Tsg9 said:
742-01-04 deals with the Initial Inspection, where any faults have to be "made good"

Are you saying that regardless of whether it's an alteration/addition or initial verification, all faults will need to be made good.
Initial verification precedes testing. This is the same for any certificate including an EIC, wether it is being used for a new installation or an addition/alteration. An EIC will be accompanied by a schedule of inspections, if there is an X in any of the boxes the schedule of inspections the certificate should not be issued until it has been rectified (nor should the testing stage be carried out.)

Spark123 said:
So would you put an alteration or addition into service with faults on it?

Tsg9 said:

Are you saying that regardless of whether it's an alteration/addition or initial verification, all faults will need to be made good.
Initial verification precedes testing. This is the same for any certificate including an EIC, wether it is being used for a new installation or an addition/alteration. An EIC will be accompanied by a schedule of inspections, if there is an X in any of the boxes the schedule of inspections the certificate should not be issued until it has been rectified (nor should the testing stage be carried out.)

Now I'm confused!! So which is the correct answer....

Record or Make Good??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back