17th edition again!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Sorry for bringing this up again, work has asked me if I would like to do the 17th course, I am a mechanical maint engineer so my electrical knowledge is reasonable but limited.

The reason they would like to to attend is I issue the work/jobs to the electricians at work and the bosses think it would be an idea for me to have an idea of what is right or wrong, although I can see issues if I question a trained electricians methods, but thats another issue!!

So what I am really asking is will someone with limited electrical knowledge find the course tough going or is it a relaively straight forward course?

ta

Sponsored Links
If referring to the multiple guess exam based on BS7671, then if you can read, you can easily pass.
The answers are all in the green book, the answers appear in the same order that they do in the book, and you can have the book with you while answering the questions.

Can't really see what use it would be in your situation.
On the other hand, if it's being offered for free, why not go for it?

You will need the Big Green Book
Everything you need to know is in there, you can take it in to the exam with you.
Get on a short course and learn as much as you can about the requirements and get a feel for the book and where everything is.
The exam is not an absolute give me but anyone who is willing to put a little effort in, should have no problem passing.
Have a go

what most companies forget or fail to realise is that 17th edition will not make somebody electrically competent or know alot about fault finding etc....without an electrical background or decent knowledge, its pretty worthless on its own.

But by all means, if its free.....go for it. Just request some decent electrica courses to back it up!!

Sponsored Links
And have it added to your contract of employment that whilst you may have passed the course/exam you will not be held liable for any work carried out by others which does not comply with relevant regulations/guidelines.

Don't be a scapegoat for others mistakes!

In a different scenario been there, done that and got my fingers burnt!

Cheers folks was thinking the same "What good is it to me but, hey its free so why not" but was unsure what was involved, but going by that online exam if I get my head down a pay attention it doesnt look like it will be to bad.

Here what you are saying Conny that is in the back of my mind too..

You're welcome.
Wouldn't like to see someone else stitched up the way I was.
Good Luck with the course.

CERT-1.jpg

With the book, of course!

but going by that online exam .
You don't need to buy anything other than the big green book, which if your employer wishes you to take the exam, I would expect them to buy it.
Some courses will include a book as part of the fee charged.
My link is a free sample, just put a user name in and any old email address, does not have to be yours can be made up and you will get a simulated exam.

I did it without the book or a calculator and was amazed that I got 91% with 97 minutes left on the clock.
I'm off speed dating now, to see if I am as successful in that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back