18V dewalt batteries

i suppose my view is taken from the work we do. out in all weathers and some of it takes a real hammering. thats why i ditched the dewalt and i wasnt impressed with the batteries either. each to their own though

Sponsored Links
I have various makes of tool. I have used Ryobi and they have always broken within a year, so would not recommend. I have some older Bosch professional tools and they have never caused any problems. I have some 4-5 year old Dewalt tools that have not had any problems. I have many Makita tools as I have always rated them, but today a Makita LS1013 Mitre saw (4 years old) and A HR3000C breaker (6 years old) both broke. I have had quotes for repair and it will cost me a fortune.

I guess it come down to how much wear and tear a tool will get. The older tools certainly seem more well made, but I think that is across all brands. If you are good at problem solving and repairs then spare parts are readily available ( and not expensive) for Bosch, Dewaly and Makita. But I am not so it will cost me a bundle.

i have 20+ dewalt 18v tools and they all get massive abuse in horrible dirty dusty and wet environments ok the odd one gets wrecked but i have tried the rest and would not bother with anything other than dewalt.

last year i dropped a drill 20ft+ onto a concrete floor- the battery fell out, and that was that it is still going as well as before. there was alot of trades about when i did that and everyone was amazed.

I have various makes of tool. I have used Ryobi and they have always broken within a year, so would not recommend..

i personaly rate ryobi as diy or light to medium trade
are you full trade use or diy!!!

Sponsored Links
At present all my tools are dewalt, various stuff for home use including jigsaw & 240v SDS.

My work drills are a 24v SDS & a 18v with hammer, both these drills are two year old & the batterys have just about had it. The problem is now that the batterys can not keep up with me, I am constantly swapping half charged batterys just to try & finish the job.

I am definitely going to move over to bosch, I had a 24v SDS a few years ago & still remember how good it was compared to dewalt.

A lot of dewalt products are made in the old B&D factory which is just down the road from me.

Paul.

My work drills are a 24v SDS & a 18v with hammer, both these drills are two year old & the batterys have just about had it.

There is a strange phenomenon with Dewalt chargers. I had the standard charger 1hr I think it was, and it goosed all the batteries I used in the first two years. Then when my mate sold his dewalt gear already two years old I bought it. He had the fast charger, his batteries were like new, and remained like that for another two years. When I changed to Hilti and Makita the Dewalt batteries which had only ever seen the fast charger held capacity like they were weeks old after 4 years.

So charger speed does not mean charger quality. The efforts put into making a fast charger seem also to go into making it look after the batteries. Perhaps they use a pulsing method?

Dewalt gear is OK but will never be Festool. Hilti is next best to Fesstool. Makita seem to be serving me well.

At present all my tools are dewalt...............both these drills are two year old & the batterys have just about had it.

I am definitely going to move over to bosch, I had a 24v SDS a few years ago & still remember how good it was compared to dewalt.

Paul.

I had that battery problem when I used to have DeWalt as well (along with many other problems...although I suspect the charger ate my first set of batteries)

Now running all Bosch, the 36v gear is awesome, would never ever go back

Well I have took the plunge back to Bosch after 10+ years of being 100%Dewalt, Ordered a 18v combi drill with lithuim type batterys & should get it tomorrow.

Paul.

Good choice! One of the guys on our firm has just had one of these and he's delighted with it. Did you get the set with the free impact driver that's kicking around at the moment?

No mate, just the drill. I had a look at the promotion with the impact driver but I would know what to do with it. Hopefully £260 well spent.

Paul.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back