1987 Ideal WLx, maintenance contract?

Sponsored Links
Don't currently have a BG contract, had one in our previous house and it took four different fitters over four different visits to sort out an erratic pilot light, so the 1st three did well didn't they?

Who defines "no longer supported"? BG? That's convenient for them.

not because BG or shysters tell me "can't get the parts guv".

So, reminds us again why you want to take out a BG contract :rolleyes:

OP- Not for the first time, on a forum intended for technical Q&A's, we have a post that is primarily to do with money and not plumbing & heating.

In this instance you're asking people, most of who are self employed, to explain or justify the methods of BG eg. their biggest competitor. Furthermore you wish them to recommend any other competitor for your financial satisfaction.

I don't think it too rude to suggest you're taking the p*ss and should look for information elsewhere.

this is getting a little tedious. perhaps a bullet point presentation for our hard of understanding OP.

- your boiler is old.
- certain parts are obsolete or difficult to obtain.
- a contract is likely to fix it if they have the part.
- a contract is not likely to fix it if the part they need is not available.
- a contract has clauses you may not like.
- the manufacturer has made the parts obsolete.
- an independant is just as likely to have problems sourcing parts.
- the decision on what to do is yours and yours alone.

how can it be any clearer?

Sponsored Links

In my case as well as Paul Barker and a few others we would try very hard to source obsolete parts IF the owner had a very good reason to repair the boiler.

Examples of a very good reason would be that the property is due to be demolished next year for the new by-pass etc.

Tony

In my case as well as Paul Barker and a few others we would try very hard to source obsolete parts IF the owner had a very good reason to repair the boiler.

Examples of a very good reason would be that the property is due to be demolished next year for the new by-pass etc.

The OP Is a bit of a ****, but my only criteria for getting an appliance working is:

Can I?
Will the customer pay?

Independants are in the position of being able to scratch around smaller suppliers. We have to make the deision as to whether the client is prepared to pay for time and cash expended. However, more often than not it quickly becomes uneconomical, but that is for the client to decide.

The likes of BG are clearly not, and why should they? Their terms are fairly clear, until we get into the thorny issue of "neccessary" power flushes.

FFS dump BG and get an independant RGI,
Not with BG, the clause from the BG contract was used to demonstrate weasel words.
this posting is boring the a**e of me
But good to see that you still read it and reply, thanks
So, reminds us again why you want to take out a BG contract
I don't particularly want to take out a contract with BG. If I do take out a contract I want it to be fair contract, ie no running away from problems by the contractor. Is that too much to ask?
OP- Not for the first time, on a forum intended for technical Q&A's, we have a post that is primarily to do with money and not plumbing & heating.
It's primarily about trying to find a fair contract for maintaining a boiler, which doesn't appear to exist judging by some of the replies on here
this is getting a little tedious. perhaps a bullet point presentation for our hard of understanding OP.
Here's a better presentation:
OP wants a fair contract to repair his very reliable boiler if it breaks down, but he doesn't want someone to take his money and then run away from problems with "can't get the parts mate", heat exchanger repair being the primary example. OP posts on a board dealing with plumbing and heating, hoping to find some mention of a fair contract, but no luck.

Good news though, I've found a local company who can repair cast iron heat exchangers for less than £100, I'm sure one of our neighbours still has their old boiler in the garage (waiting for the contractor to collect), I'll offer to take it off their hands and I'll have a stock of parts for reconditioning. So here's to the next 24 years of reliability!

I'm astonished to read just how unreliable modern boilers are, who designs these things?

The OP Is a bit of a ****,

OP wants value for money, a fair contract and a trustworthy contractor who does what he says he is going to do as per contract. What's so wrong with that?

Good news though, I've found a local company who can repair cast iron heat exchangers for less than £100, I'm sure one of our neighbours still has their old boiler in the garage (waiting for the contractor to collect), I'll offer to take it off their hands and I'll have a stock of parts for reconditioning. So here's to the next 24 years of reliability!

How are they repaired and what sort of guarantee do they give?

They don't just mean they will dismantle the Heat Ex, pop in new 'O' rings and re-assemble do they? Any DIY'er could do that.

Mr. W.

OP wants value for money, a fair contract and a trustworthy contractor who does what he says he is going to do as per contract. What's so wrong with that?

Best value for money is to pay an independent to fix your boiler when it fails.

I see a cracked c.i. heat exchanger about once every two years! No often!

I am sure that BG are a trustworthy contractor who do exactly what their contract says. In your case thats NOT to repair boilers when the manufacturers no longer supply parts!

What a ridiculous thread, OP wants a contract that will guarantee a repair for a boiler that any normal person would have binned years ago.
I disagree with "the OP is a bit of a ****, he's a complete one. ;)

Tony

not a great reason. :rolleyes:

unfortunately i am at the mercy of the office monkey when it comes to sourcing parts. if it isn't in stock in leicester i am forced to rely on a monkey for assistance. in most cases the monkey is very helpful and will try to find the part for a while by phoning various sources. occasionally i will up the ante by being a little obstreperous in the hope the monkey will try a little harder.

the end result is always the engineer being the bad guy by telling the custard the part is not available but in reality he has no more control over that than petrol prices.

Who defines "no longer supported"? BG? That's convenient for them.

No, in your case Ideal. Why not see if they will cover it. Personally under Bg I would turn it down for contract and almost certainly fail it for a poor case seal.....there you go it is definitively dead.

FFS dump BG and get an independant RGI,
Not with BG, the clause from the BG contract was used to demonstrate weasel words.

"weasel words" are used by workshy engineers not by "BG". learn to differentiate.

Here's a better presentation:
OP wants a fair contract to repair his very reliable boiler if it breaks down, but he doesn't want someone to take his money and then run away from problems with "can't get the parts mate", heat exchanger repair being the primary example

and still you fail to recognise for the umpteenth time that "can't get the parts mate" for a boiler older than king herod is an extremely plausible scenario. the same advice needs to be repeated again.....if you are not happy with that scenario then do not take a contract with anyone. FFS the BG computer system even has a drop down comment for "repeat advice" i.e. customer is thick as ****.

OP posts on a board dealing with plumbing and heating, hoping to find some mention of a fair contract, but no luck.

and you continue to ignore advice that points you in the direction of the best possible outcome of this wish.

as for H/E repairs i agree with mr dubya.

The heat exchanger is a concern, is it possible to stitch repair a cast iron heat exchanger?

Yes it is, I carry all the equipment to weld your HE on the van but hopefully it won't crack in the next few weeks as I'm a little tied up fixing a boiler in Japan... Apparently the numpties ran it short of water

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back